Thursday 22 December 2011

A Slippery Subject.



Giving soap for Christmas was always seen as a gentle hint, but these days the making, and giving, of home-made soaps has become highly desirable.

Until recently I had no idea that artisnal soap-making was so widespread, and one of my favourite soap-makers has to be Donna O'Shaughnessy (Winner of 'Cro's Soap-maker of the year award, 2011'), who is responsible for the above.

These particular 'bars' above, I believe, are perfumed with Anise and Coconut (my favourite soap aroma). Apart from which they look fantastic.

Donna lives, and farms, in Chatsworth Illinois; so if you're passing by, do yourself a favour, pop in and buy some of her wonderful soap, superb organic meat, and raw untreated milk (for which she is a tireless campaigner). If you're not passing by, go to......

http://midlifefarmwife.blogspot.com

p.s. Her totally Organic Farm is also for sale. Another good reason to visit her blog.

13 comments:

  1. They look good enough to eat - no really, I saw some cakes just like those in the bakers window this morning!

    Donna is a great laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a strictly adhered to rule in our compact but adorable city apartment - never buy soap that looks or smells edible. There is a shop quite (too) near us called 'Lush' which sells gigantic slabs of brightly coloured soap, and you can smell it half a mile away. Disgusting. My favourite soap was based on lignum vitae, but you cannot buy it any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handmade soap...now I think that must be the finest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soap is beautiful, anise and coconut sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like cookie bars and I bet they smell delicious. I love those thick lavender handmade soaps. Now I wish I had some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade soaps. I shall visit her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cro.... I would like the coconut fragrance for sure!... I'll have to check out her blog. Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love homemade soaps and buy them all the time at our local stores. I find them elegant.

    Have a wonderful holiday Cro. With that anise and coconut soap aroma, you should smell like a Christmas cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love hand made soaps also, we have made it too and hope to have another go this year it is a really lovely thing to do..I buy from Granny's Garden a wonderful Aussie soapmaker,and all the wonderful varieties,sometimes it is hard to start using a cake as it looks and smells so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A former school chum had her own soapmaking business for awhile, and when we re-established contact after many years, she gifted me with a dozen bars. "Everyone needs soap," she said.

    As a result, she spoiled me, and now i buy handmade soaps. A bit of indulgence, but my skin prefers it, and i've not had to spend money on lotion and creams, so it works out.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Cro...now that you've made me an international sensation, my life here on South Pork Ranch will never be the same. I can see it now...TV crews, movie deals, book contracts. Seriously though, No worries, its all just good clean fun. (Cocobong and I are indeed very proud of the long way you have come, Baby)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Handmade soaps are marvellous..I had one, chocolate with coffee grounds..smelt good, and just the thing after decidedly grubby work!!
    'joyeux Noel' and 'Nadolig llawen' from the potter to the painter....now where can I see your work?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...