Thursday 24 October 2024

Bully Beef


I'm not quite prepared to re-acquaint myself with SPAM, as yet; that's a step too far!

However, I felt reasonably confident buying this small tin of Corned Beef, with the idea of seeing if it tasted anything like how I remember it from my childhood.

I was amused to see that the tin still has that bizarre key system for opening. It worked perfectly.

So, what exactly is Corned Beef? As far as I remember it is Beef Brisket cured in brine, before being coarsely minced and tinned. Most of the world's production comes from S America; Brazil in particular.

I was rather looking forward to tasting this strange old-fashioned product, and opened it for lunch when I returned from my shopping trip. Lady M turned-up her nose, and refused to taste it.

Personally I found it rather disappointing. It was ground finer than I remember, and didn't have much flavour. It wasn't at all as I remember it, but that could be on account of the maker. I don't think mother used to buy 'Princes'. I'm sure the one she bought had a picture of a bull on the label; Fray Bentos maybe?

Verdict: 3/10. I shan't buy it again

p.s. I had a small amount of Corned Beef left over in the fridge, and decided to have it fried for my next morning's breakfast, with one rasher of bacon, and a fried egg.

The Corned Beef was really awful and I had to chuck it.

Revised verdict: 0/10. Horrible. It made me think of dog food.


12 comments:

  1. That corned beef looks way too fatty. I used to buy something similar to spam but much nicer but have not been able to get it for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was horrible. I didn't even give it to Billy.

      Delete
  2. Different shaped tin. Think you can still get Fray Bentos. That looks horrible. I used to have Spam with salad at my Grandma's on a Sunday. I've had it grilled too. I'm curious now....I shall keep a look out for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to make Spam Fritters. Slices were dipped in batter and fried. A dash of vinegar, and they were delicious. I'm not sure what I'd make of them these days.

      Delete
  3. I remember Fray Bentos corned beef from my youth, didn't it come from Argentina? Haven't had it in many a year now, but still occasionally get the Fray Bentos steak & kidney pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the same times as buying the above, I also bought a Fray Bentos Steak-n-Kidney Pudding. A couple of mins in the Microwave and they're really quite nice. Lady M turns her nose up at them too.

      Delete
  4. I remember that in my childhood we still ate something similar to the one that my father kept from his service in the British Army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think soldiers, on active service, almost lived on it. It was an easy way to give them protein.

      Delete
  5. I used to like corned beef for tea on Sundays back in the dark ages of the 70s but couldn't face eating it nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I liked it as a child, but the above was horrible.

      Delete
  6. Did you know that Fray Bentos is a small city in Uruguay? Why would anybody name their city after tinned pies and a brand of corned beef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The New Zealanders named their capital city after a rubber boot.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...