Sunday 28 April 2019

One season ends; another begins.



This is the last of our winter veg'. Time has come to grub-up all the spent Cavolo Nero, PSB, Perpetual Spinach (above), and Curly Kale plants, and dig-in plenty of compost in readiness for this years crops. I now have a two section compost system, so the compost I'm spreading is two years old; much better looking than before.

As usual I'm following my four year rotation, and the section where all my winter leafy vegs have been growing will, this year, be replaced by our summer Peppers, Aubergines, Beans, and a few Butternuts.

My 2018 harvest was generally very good, except for the Tomatoes. They became diseased, and stopped producing much earlier than expected. This has prompted me to plant much later this year, and to follow some slightly different growing methods. We'll see!

I've got all the seeds I need, and the garden shops are filled with plants. It's all 'go' from now on. Let the fun commence.

14 comments:

  1. It won't be long before you are picking all your summer produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courgettes are usually the first. They produce very quickly. I'll plant them on Monday.

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing your garden come alive with plants.
    Sending cuddles and ear scratches to Billy.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parsnip. Billy is very alive this morning; I'm just about to take him out.

      Delete
  3. I am very envious. Our window of opportunity for growing veg is very small as our summer season is so short. I am looking forward to following your progress and seeing the delicious results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much the same. It's always exciting at the beginning of the new growing season. I enjoy the plants developments, almost as much as the harvest.

      Delete
    2. Is the Isle of Man in some sort of ferocious micro climate Jaycee? I am surprised. The growing season in the rest of Great Britain is, I am pleased to say, good enough to grow vegetables and sustain a healthy agricultural industry.

      Delete
    3. I always thought the IOM benefitted from the Gulf Stream.

      Delete
    4. Well, it's mild enough but we never seem to have the same amount of warm sunshine as elsewhere in Britain. Mannanan's Cloak (aka the sea mist) is often present when everywhere else is basking in sunshine!

      Delete
    5. Well, whatever Jaycee, I think you'll find your growing season is just as long as the rest of us and fewer frosts to boot.

      Delete
  4. Seasons eh? It's just one thing after another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every south facing room in my house has been invaded by trays of young plants waiting to be planted out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...