Tuesday 30 April 2019

Jesús Rafael Soto.




In around 1966, I was managing a small Art Gallery in London's Devonshire Street; twixt Harley Street and Marylebone High Street.

As such, even though we didn't deal in anything much later that 1900, I was invited to almost all the vernissages, at London's major avant garde galleries.

One of the more interesting galleries of the time was the nearby  'Signals' in Wigmore Street; a street better known for its medical supplies shops than for Art Galleries.

Signals was established as a link between artists of Latin America and those of London. London, at that time was the center of all things cultural.

The Signals exhibition that I remember best was that of Jésus Rafael Soto, a kinetic Sculptor/Painter who created stunning work that was impossible to ignore.

Most of his work involved canvases that were painted with thin vertical stripes, with other thin vertical strips of metal loosely suspended in front. Any slight movement of the hanging metal rods created eye-catching movement. At the time these were fascinating, although they must have been difficult to live with. The above is a reasonable example.

Signals' 'Private Views' were always interesting affairs regardless of the work on show. Amongst the wealthy buyers were always well-known faces from TV, famous models, and (for some bizarre reason) a few Nuns. No doubt the great Jesús himself was also there on that occasion, which could explain the presence of the Nuns; his name might have confused them.

Soto was the darling of the kinetic art world back in the mid to late 60's, but I haven't heard of him since. Fame can be very fleeting.


11 comments:

  1. He was given a retrospective in Paris a few years ago and is highly regarded in the kinetic art movement, after his death. His work appears to be in collections around the world so he was given quite a lot of recognition but like all things in art, what is in and what is out is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just looked him up. He does seem to have continued working, and was highly regarded. I wish I'd known what he looked like back then, I would liked to have spoken to him (if he spoke English). We didn't have Google images in those days.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting but panning the camera makes the effect almost impossible to judge. If I get time I'll have a look at his work and make a virtual one using rigid body physics in Blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only video I could find that illustrates the kinetic effect of his work. Some of them were quite difficult to look at.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I found it difficult to look at and stopped before the end because I felt that even in a short space of time I was sort of going into an uncomfortable trance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really something I'd want permanently in my sitting room!

      Delete
  4. Using a word from perhaps the 1990's, trippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was what that era was all about. Innovation, Acid, and making Money.

      Delete
  5. Interesting, but oh my gosh. My early morning dry eyes just couldn’t handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great in the 1960's, but hard on the eyes today.

      Delete
  6. I have made a kinetic art thingy. You can see it HERE.
    Not being an artist I don't know if it qualifies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...