Tuesday 24 September 2024

It's 'Conkers' season.


At Prep' School, I was a big Conkers fan and player. At this time of year I was seldom without a few Conkers, some string, and a skewer in my pocket; the three essentials for any Conker aficionado.


We had all sort of scams for hardening Conkers. Some steeped them in Vinegar, others 'laid them down' for 12 months, some cooked them in ovens. I, on the other hand, had a much better idea.

Father had an old thick plank of Mahogany in his shed. I sawed about an inch and a half off one end, and cut it into small squares. These I whittled into Conker shaped spheres, and painted them to look indistinguishable from the real thing. Once a hole was drilled through the middle, I was in business.  

I can't actually recall using them in anger, I was probably too ashamed, but I'm sure I showed them around. Anyway, the idea was good, and I would have become a supreme champion; until found-out!

I doubt if school children are allowed to play Conkers these days; the elf-n-safety, woke, dungaree wearing lovies wouldn't allow it. The little darlings might hurt themselves.

 

4 comments:

  1. Stupid is as stupid does. My father, a supremely intelligent man if overbearing at times, would give you short shrift on your above reasoning. Life is full of risks. Some risks you do NOT take. Engage brain. Leave bravado in the under stairs cupboard. Throw away key.

    As to your last paragraph: Should your darling Kimbo have been hit in one of his eyes (luckily most of us have two) by some conker bearing little shit on the playground you'd have plenty to say. Trust me. I am not your mother but trust me nevertheless.

    Which reminds me, apropos of nothing: My Maths teacher, a short man full of enthusiasm for his subject only equalled by the amount of disdain he had for those he taught, once opened a bottle of champagne. Anyone worthy of a sip of bubbly knows that you open the bottle AWAY from your face (and preferably not pointing at anyone else's). Law of physics. Cue Eye. No wonder he was so bad tempered for the rest of his teaching years.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're being contrary yet again. My motto has always been 'Safety Last', that way you enjoy life far more than those wrapped in cotton wool.

      Delete
  2. It was never played here, apparently life itself is the risk and that was enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that conkers are no longer allowed along with lots of other things but then, if you identify as a wolf/cat/dragon, there's no need for such things !!! Pushing our daughter along in the buggy, many moons ago { she is now in her forties ! }, we had collected some conkers on our way to pick our son up from school. I noticed lots of ' conker crumbs' in her lap and presumed she had eaten some. They are poisonous so it was a hospital visit where they made her sick and all was well !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...