Monday 30 September 2024

Not so Lively


I've previously only read one other novel by Penelope Lively, and loved it. I had asked Lady M to buy a few Agatha Christie paperbacks from Oxfam, but she came back with this. Moon Tiger.

I do enjoy Lively's style of writing. It's a cross between stream of consciousness and the clipped, dark, descriptive writing of Dylan Thomas. Intelligent and provocative.


The narrative in this one is a bit slow. It follows the lives of a woman, her mother, her brother, and various family friends and relations. I would have preferred a more interesting story-line, however, the writing is so meticulous that I still enjoyed reading it.

The book discusses the inevitability of life and death; the past and the future. I finished it feeling slightly depressed.

Next book; Agatha Christie. Poirot is on the case at Pollensa Bay, and elsewhere, in a book of short stories. A very different kettle of fish! Of the six or so short stories, I only found three to be worthy of her reputation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...