Monday 2 September 2024

Departure


It's that time of year again. Time to pack our bags and return to Blighty.

The three months seem to have flown by. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do as much as I'd wanted on account of some developing health issues, but it's still been a wonderful break. I'm now left wondering if I'll ever return? If my mobility becomes worse, and I lose my ability to drive, I shall have to remain in Brighton whilst the others head south without me.

I shan't really mind. I've had over 50 years in France and they have all been filled with wonderful memories.


So, time now to return to a simpler life in England. To pints of bitter at my local, to shopping at Sainsbury's and Waitrose, to Pork Pies, a Chinese takeaway maybe, to the friendliness of our neighbours and acquaintances, and of course to family.

It's a strange feeling, having lived in a foreign country for so long, spoken their language, and adopted their ways, to return to the home of my birth once and for all. To know that never again will I stop to chat with my oldest friends here; José and Jean-Claude. Nor to head off to the woods each morning to gather wild mushrooms. Or even take the road each week to the supermarket where I've shopped once a week for decades. Of course none of this is certain, but I'm not over optimistic.

Ours is a pretty little house, built from stone and topped with ancient clay 'Roman' tiles; I shall miss it terribly. We've added to the original one derelict room quite extensively; keeping the local artisans, and myself, busy over the years. I'm very proud to say that I've rescued a 300 year old house from certain ruin, and created a comfortable and charming home. Had it been bought by a Frenchman, it would either have been demolished, or made into a 'modern featureless bungalow'. They still rarely see the beauty in ancient stones.

Other than the bare-bones of the single room cottage, there had been just one very old Pear tree, leaning perilously towards the house, that had to come down. Everything growing there now was planted by us!

So, goodbye little house. Goodbye pool. And goodbye to the little tower built by Lady M and myself. I've loved every minute of my life here (other than welcoming a few unpleasant new neighbours), and I genuinely hope that I've made some lasting contribution to our tiny community.


This is not a definitive 'adieu' to my little cottage (or to France), because medical science might suddenly find a miracle cure for my ailing back, hips, knee, and legs, but I'm not holding my breath.

On verra bien!  

The car is packed, and I shall be on the road for a couple of days, so I won't be able to reply to comments. See you again soon!

28 comments:

  1. The time did fly. Ever the optimist, I am sure you will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have 9 months to see how things go, but I can't see certain things improving. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed following along with your life in France and in recent years your life in two countries. It will be sad if you don't see your French home again but you have had good times there and Brighton also seems a good place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cro, I do hope this isn't the final goodbye to your life in France. I feel just as sad as you do, having followed your life when you lived permanently in France. Hopefully you will be able to return.
    Have a safe journey back to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a safe journey back. Time does fly, I would have said you had only been there a couple of weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the talent and the ability to enjoy life everywhere and find the best in everything, indeed it is a kind of sad farewell but very realistic and touching too. I wish you an easy journey on your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel sad for you, the cottage looks wonderful. I have never minded a life of moving around, but now I am older it becomes more difficult to pack up and go elsewhere. I hope your journey back to England goes smoothly without any hitches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those three months have gone so quick, hope you've enjoyed them despite your health issues. In my early 60's I started struggling with back, hip and knee pain. An MRI showed that I had arthritis in both my hips, something I wasn't ready for at my age. All of this year I have been hobbling around with two sticks and in a lot of pain. Six weeks ago I had the worst hip replaced and already it has made such a difference. Don't give up on your French life, get a doctor's appointment and see what is going on with your body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very poignant post. Can Madame Magnon drive? Perhaps she or Sir KImbo can drive you down to your French hideaway for one last time next summer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never say never Cro .... if you can, keep mobile, walking Billy and, with a bit of advice from the right corner, maybe a few gentle exercise's. I think, when people have movement issues, they stop moving which is the worst thing you can do but then, I don't know how much pain you are in and if it's possible to move much. ' See ' you back in Blighty. Safe travels. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a sad post. I can only hope your health improves and you want and can make the journey again next year. I loved reading about your early morning walks, the shopping and your meals.
    May you enjoy this coming english winter and find some answers for your mobility problems

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, this sounds very sad, I really feel for you but perhaps you're overthinking things. Hopefully you can get some treatment for your ailments and all will be well again. Certainly hope so, hope you've had a safe and non-eventful journey back to Brighton. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to be on Lady M's side and tell you to drink more water! Tout suite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's always hope, Cro... hope that things will improve. Don't give up. You may have summers to enjoy yet (in France or in England)!! And God knows, you have wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be sorry to see you depart, too. The world you've created there is stunning and your shortened season there is criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is heartbreaking. Your house is so lovely. Surely you can still go there for hols and someone else has to drive and do all the hard physical work if necessary and you can relax and sip cocktails by the pool. I would love to hear you speak French.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hip or knee replacements don't mean you can't travel.

    Fly to the nearest airport and rent a car while you are there?

    Does the Lady not drive? Or are you just a terrible passenger (like my husband)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems to me, you need a good doctor and an appointment with said doctor. Does Kimbo have a doctor that he could arrange an appointment for you and attend the appointment. Getting a diagnosis and putting a care plan in to action is important.
    Honestly, I can not see you exclusively in Brighton.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Cro. This makes me sad to read that you might be saying goodbye to your French home. I'll hope that your mobility improves enough that you'll get another year or two with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where there are good byes, there will be hellos and welcomes.

    It's 1922 BST, Tuesday. I take it you will have arrived by now - in one piece. Make that three - counting in Lady M and Billy.

    All the best,
    U

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope that you can come back next summer to enjoy your lovely French home. I have enjoyed all the adventures. Even a drive down to the market was filled with food and wonderful photos to enjoy.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for your comments. We have now arrived back in Brighton, and slept overnight. We are both totally exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Having just found your blog, I'm sorry to read this. You have had so much more of France than we managed, so the parting must be even harder. We had a cottage in southern Normandy for 20 years, which we restored and spent summers in when we retired, but we had to sell it last year, so I can sympathise from experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...