Saturday 28 September 2024

Couscous


I know I do go on about Couscous from time to time, but I am an evangelical fan!  

I love all the stages of making Couscous. I love preparing the meat and vegs (below) for the Tagine, I enjoy the cooking process, and of course I enjoy eating the result. The preparation of the couscous itself is simply a matter of introducing the grains of couscous to some boiling water.


Ingredients for Tagine: Cheap cuts of either Lamb or Chicken, Chunky cut Aubergine, Courgette, Potato, Peppers, some chopped Preserved Lemon, a small tin of Chickpeas, Cumin powder, Ras al Hanout, a squirt of Harissa, garlic, and S & P. This is slow cooked in the morning for about an hour, then re-heated when required. I made enough (above) for two days. Serve with the heated Couscous. 

To prepare Couscous (for the uninitiated): Pour grains into a glass bowl, then only just cover with boiling water. After a couple of minutes begin to separate the grains with a fork, continue every few minutes until you have a bowl of individual swelled grains. Put aside.

Personally I add a tiny splash of olive oil, some dried mint, cumin seeds, some turmeric (I like the colour), and salt to the Couscous, before giving one further mix and popping into the microwave for 1.5 mins. Your Couscous it now ready; it should be light and fluffy.


We eat Couscous at least once a week, and I never tire of it. Once one is used to the process it becomes a really simple dish to prepare. This one (above) which was leftovers from the previous day, was accompanied by some merguez sausages which I recently bought in Dieppe. We ate it last night.

People often say to me that it all looks so complicated, but it isn't at all. And for those who've never eaten Couscous, I say DO SO IMMEDIATELY.

 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, no couscous here being wheat and not gluten free so I substitute rice always with turmeric.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...