Saturday 2 January 2021

R I P's of 2020.

 


As usual my list is limited to the names I noted in my diary at the time. I know I've omitted many who merited appearing here, but here are a few. 

Kirk Douglas, actor

Diana Rigg, actress

Honor Blackman, actress

Vera Lynn, singer

Olivia de Havilland, actress

Nicholas Parsons, quiz master, etc

Terry Jones, Python

Tim Brooke-Taylor, Goodie

Roy Hudd, comedian

Derek Fowlds, Heartbeat actor

Sean Connery, Bond

Nobby Stiles, hero footballer 

Geoffrey Palmer, actor

Des O'Connor, singer/comedian

John Le Carré, author

And the lovely Barbara Windsor, mini sex-bomb, actress, and National Treasure (above)

Plus; I suppose one cannot forget The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe. Although few will be mourning his passing.

However, our most mourned-for loss of the year must be that of the world's 'health and freedom'. I hope that will be returned to us in 2021.

13 comments:

  1. Very cold here this morning. -5 C and a heavy frost. All fires are lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it is 18 degrees and with us it is considered cold. I had to water the garden, it hasn't rained in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just come back from my early walk with Billy, and my feet were frozen. Time to get out those winter socks.

      Delete
  3. Derek Fowlds, Bernard in Yes Minister I think.
    Geoffrey Palmer, Dame Judi's husband in some rather good tv show.
    Didn't Barbara W have a good cameo in The Plank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember her in The Plank, but it was so top-heavy with famous faces that I might have missed her. I believe that the actual plank itself was later sold for a small fortune!

      Delete
  4. Right at the end of the year Tommy Docherty (The Doc) - I am not a football fan but think everyone has heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a Football person, but I know the name.

      Delete
  5. Last NYE, at the party we go to every year, Des O’Connor was there along with Jimmy Tarbuck. Jimmy Tarbuck did a few minutes of stand up but Des was very quiet although, the pair of them had been doing gigs, reminiscing with audiences. It’s always sad and poignant, remembering those that have departed throughout the year. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two big names. I always felt slightly sorry for Des; he was always the 'fall guy', especially with Eric-n-Ern. I suspect he was a very nice man.

      Delete
  6. There is the annual "We Remember" compilation on BBC iPlayer if you can get it. Always excellent. One thing in it that particularly struck me is that Barbara Windsor passed her 11-plus exams with the highest marks in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because she was a friend of the Krays, doesn't mean she wasn't bright. Good for her!

      Delete
  7. I think that The Yorkshire Ripper's name should be changed to The Lancashire Ripper. We don't wish to be associated with that wicked man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just grateful that he wasn't a Surrey or Sussex Ripper. Lordy, lordy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...