Friday 8 January 2021

Stuff.


Life is filled with things that either please or annoy. I've tended to have more of the latter recently.

I can't exactly claim that this annoyed me, but it certainly disappointed. When I spotted this large can of Confit de Porc (below), the picture looked appealing; it does; doesn't it. It wasn't overly expensive, so I invested. That was about two years ago.

I decided to open the can a couple of days ago. The pork (like duck) had been cooked and preserved in it's own fat (confit-ed), which when melted revealed 4 rectangular, small, unattractive looking, pieces of pork; it appeared very industrial. The meat itself was OK-ish, but I shan't be buying it again; in fact I haven't seen it on sale since. I imagine they were testing the market, and the market said 'No'. I think the market was right

Next, our new iPhone. We had always resisted buying an iPhone, but that resistance was futile. When I turn it on, it asks me to "press 'Home' to open" (see below).

However, I couldn't find anything that said 'Home' to press, so already I was confused. No wonder I hate these bloody things. Honestly; why can't they make something that simply turns on, shows you a 'dialling' keyboard, or a list of contacts. 

Anyway, I had to Skype my son, Kimbo, in England to have basic lessons in 'iPhones for idiots'. I'm getting there; I think. 

I'm having ONE 'words of one syllable' lesson a day. I now know how to make a phone call, use WhatsApp, and measure if my pictures are level. I also now know where the 'Home' button is.

I know, I know, you're going to tell me that I'm a silly old-fogey techno-phobe... and, yes, it's true, I am.

And finally; Sod's Law.


Why is it that gas bottles always run out at the most inconvenient time imaginable?

If I was simply heating some baked beans, I wouldn't worry; but when I am only just managing to keep four balls in the air (metaphorically); it really isn't the moment to misbehave.

I shall say no more.

36 comments:

  1. I will stick to my android phone. Could you not go to the barn to have lessons - or Lady Magnon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wills is always too busy, and Lady M is as clueless as me. We have a lot to learn.

      Delete
    2. I expect Boo Boo and Cherub could teach you.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure they could, but they don't know their Pythagoras from their Hippocrates.

      Delete
  2. Yes, like Susan, stick to Android.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Android here too. I find if you need to learn something new on your phone go to your laptop and Google what you need or look on YouTube as they have lots of instructions.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll stick with my son's lessons. He's very patient with me; I might end-up kicking Mr Google.

      Delete
  4. I shall watch your progress, been debating about an Iphone but I don't want to complicate my life. When my son sent me a Tab for Xmas, I could not get out of what language I wanted and spent an hour on the phone being taken through the whole rigmarole by my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have the same problem, and the same solution. My son is doing a very good teaching job so far.

      Delete
  5. Gas bottles ALWAYS run out at that crucial moment, it's the law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a spy mechanism, to see when it's the most inconvenient moment possible.

      Delete
  6. Cro, our kids got us to get iPhones years ago... and I have to admit, I love mine. It's an old one now, the iPhone 6 (think they are on 12 now). But we hardly ever use it to actually talk, but do text and send pics constantly among the family. My most used apps are the calendar, notes (where I keep all the dates of last flu shot, etc.), and of course google where I can ask anything and get an instant answer. Hope you enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the calendar on my laptop, and find it very useful. I expect the iPhone will be used for emergencies only.

      Delete
  7. From one old fogey to another - keeping two balls in the air at once is way beyond me for obvious reasons - but old fogey I shall remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you can imagine my trying with four, only to have the gas run out.

      Delete
  8. I still use my Siemens A55 bought October 2003. I even switch it on sometimes. Meanwhile, if anyone wishes to contact me more urgently they can always write a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that an Austin A55? I think my mother had one.

      Delete
  9. If I might be so bold, it strikes me that you are a silly old-fogey techno-phobe. There. I have said it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stupid old man who doesn't understand tech stuff. Well, I am not keeping up with tech stuff, no matter being smarter than them all born in 1995, ok perhaps before they were born.

    I expect Lady M is like R. No matter how much gas you think is left, it will be your fault if the gas runs out, so therefore fill the bottle before it is empty and bugger the expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I always have a bottle of gas in reserve, but having to leave all the kitchen chaos, to change it over, is a right pain.

      Delete
  11. It is really frustrating to feel so impotent when tasked with new technology isn't it? I learnt to type on a huge old fashined machine, used cards and tape on the first computer I encountered and feel like such and idiot when I have to ask my kids 'how to'? on my phone....but stick with it...you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There IS a sense of achievement in learning what button to press, so I am actually enjoying the process.

      Delete
  12. Having been an Apple user for all things for over a decade I could never return to the dark ages. I can truthfully say that every person I have introduced to Apple has ended up being absolutely converted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that I am too. One or two more lessons and I'll have it mastered.

      Delete
  13. Off topic but it finally came to me. Fyfe Robertson, Heath Robinson. At least I got the names sorted .
    All 3 things are supposed to make our lives easier but sometimes don't.
    At least they are all fixable. We have a spare gas bottle too and it always stops when K is cooking. I hide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heath Robinson drawings are wonderful. My childhood was littered with his inventions!

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, I had to laugh, especially at the phone. What is so easy for young children, frustrates us. We cling to our old ways, the ON and OFF days, having maybe three choices, and items lasting longer than a year. Now we have a million choices and none of them work for us. Not to worry, Dear Cro, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was wrong with on/off? You knew exactly where you were.

      Delete
  15. Oh, phones! I wind up on google most often as my children and grandchildren don't respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Google; a Knight in shining armour (occasionally).

      Delete
  16. I have my first smart phone. It is not an i-phone but it took me a long time to get used to. Even still, it doesn't seem to recognize my finger when I try to answer a call. Arg.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...