Saturday 31 October 2020

The 3 C's.


I suppose I must admit to being quite a nostalgic person. It's all a very long time ago, but I often think back to my old headmaster's obsession for his 'Three C's'; Christianity, Classics, and Cricket.

Having been a teacher myself, albeit briefly, I am only too aware that teachers can have a lasting effect on a child's future, and teachers need to be aware of this fact at all times.

I was never too keen on the Christianity bit, but I did enjoy the singing. My school also happened to be in close proximity to a lovely old cathedral (above).

As for Classics, I had a wonderful teacher at my Prep' school, and somehow managed to achieve the highest mark in my intake year's Latin entrance exam paper, and, to everyone's amazement (including mine), I became the year's 'Classics Scholar'. I later abandoned my study of Latin (the result of dire teaching), concentrated more on Art, and later won the senior school Art Prize. My headmaster wasn't amused.

Cricket has probably always been my game of choice, so I was very happy to take part in this third of my headmaster's obsessions, although I never got chosen to play above the 2nd XI. I'm pleased to say that my oldest, Kimbo, shares my love for the game, and has continued to play quality Club Cricket since his Oxford days. He still plays, and regularly puts on a good show! Cricket teaches us so much more than just how to bat or bowl, it teaches us to take defeat with dignity, to praise the better man, and that the Umpire's decision is always final. Not bad maxim's by which to live.

Some people show no lasting influence from their schooldays; mine still play an important part in my life. As Ignatius of Loyola was 'reputed' to have said "Give me the child for the first seven years (in my case a bit more), and I'll give you the man". I have a friend who was educated by the Jesuits, and he always describes them as the most evil bastards imaginable. Not, I'm sure, what St Ignatius had intended; unless he was a psychopath.


11 comments:

  1. Cricket balls terrified me.
    The only Classic I recall from my school days was Homers Iliad. I had a physics teacher who used to recite it in both Greek and English. God Knows why. He didn't come across as barking mad. I can only assume he found it more interesting than Boyle's Law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember studying bits of the Iliad, but I don't think we read the whole thing.

      As for the Cricket, I was a much braver bowler than batsman!

      Delete
    2. I don't think he did it all. I'd still be there now.

      Delete
  2. You were fortunate to receive an education you remember fondly. Mine was ok. I feel for those who like your friend were treated harshly during their education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jesuits have a bit of a reputation for being harsh; my friend confirmed it.

      Delete
  3. I was lucky and enjoyed school, but ours was quite a protected environment, being all girls and quite old fashioned. Strict but fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M's was similar, and she has good memories.

      Delete
  4. Certainly one of my former colleagues who was educated by Jesuits and started training for the priesthood until he saw the light (whatever the light was) said that the Jesuit priest teachers were bastards par excellence. I loved cricket but, despite being wanted as a bowler, I couldn't bat or catch causing problems. (Later it was discovered that I had only one usable eye so could not judge distance of objects coming my way as in tennis or cricket unless the ball came directly at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a reasonably handy bowler, often causing damage to visiting batsmen. A latter-day bodyline bowler.

      Delete
  5. You have fond memories of your school days. Accomplished in Latin and Art, very impressive. Playing team sports teaches good life skills; winning and losing and doing it with dignity being key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my school days. If I could have stayed out of the classrooms, they would have been even better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...