Monday 20 March 2017

A clasp from the past.


                                     Résultat de recherche d'images pour "Schoolboy snake buckle belt"

When I was a wee schoolboy, almost every boy I knew held-up his trousers with a belt such as the one above.

I never thought anything about them at the time, but looking back I now see them as rather exotic.

That simple Snake clasp is perfect; I wonder if it wasn't based on some Roman design? It looks as if it should be.

I can see them making a come-back. Surely today's Hipsters will soon recognise their appeal.



16 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should get a jump on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple indeed and very efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter was only lamenting their absence the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange that we should both think of them.

      Delete
  4. I certainly had one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us 'of a certain age' all did, I think.

      Delete
  5. Those belts take me back Cro !! Didn't the cubs or scouts have them as part of their uniform ?!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly (I was neither). They were the standard belt for most small boys.

      Delete
  6. Gosh. Yes. In one's school colours too. That's one for the memory box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right; ours were red, white, and green, stripes.

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately I had braces that would sometimes twang the back of my head if they came loose. I think I was 14 before I was allowed to wear long trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember my first pair of longs... I was so proud.

      Delete
  8. Here in the US it was web belts with a metal push together clasp and THEY are becoming cool again. Vintage is hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it should be, it was probably better designed!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...