Saturday 20 May 2023

The Folly of Youth.


This is the view I face every morning when I consume my solitary breakfast. This takes place usually just after 5 am. 

It is there to remind me of my youthful folly, rushing off to France to live a life of primitive hedonism. The painting's title of 'Man with his head in the clouds and his feet amongst Lizards' says it all.

My thinking was to buy a nice big old stone farmhouse with plenty of land, where my children (and me) could grow-up in as natural an environment as possible (on a reasonable budget), in a pleasant climate, and where gastronomy was all important.


All of that did in fact happen, and my 3 children all had idyllic childhoods. They also learned a second language, which is never a bad thing.

My business ambitions sadly did not go as planned, but that was mostly the fault of my clients rather than me; but I expect everyone says that. I had of course made allowances, so it didn't prove a problem.

In 1973 we had not anticipated the Common Market, and certainly not the EU, but in fact they made life much simpler for us. 

In 2020 we didn't anticipate the implications of Brexit, which brought our self-indulgent lifestyles to an end, meaning that we now only spend three months of the year at what has been our home for 50 years, and the other nine months back in the UK. Luckily we had made provision for such an eventuality.

I look at that painting every morning and wonder if I made the right decision. Would it have been wiser to have spent my entire life in England? Should I have gone further afield and settled in Canada or Australia or The Caribbean?

In fact, I've loved having my head in the clouds, and I love having Lizards scampering amongst my toes. The only thing I might have done differently would have been to buy a much bigger and more ancient house, away from others. The only thing I can honestly complain about is that over the past few years some newcomers have totally changed the atmosphere of our tiny hamlet. But I suppose I should have foreseen that as well.

 

20 comments:

  1. If the life you chose was a happy one for you and your family, then that was the right one. No, 'perhaps I should haves'. You got it right. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really have changed anything, but the post Brexit days have been a bit disappointing.

      Delete
  2. There is no way you could have foreseen that, but you did at least have 50 wonderful years in that beautiful stone house. I also have my head in the clouds, dreaming of what could have been if I had done this or that differently in the past, and dreaming of what might be a few years from now if I am lucky enough to win lotto. I am still thankful for what I already have though.
    My great grandson will grow up bilingual, his daddy speaks and sings to him in Greek as well as English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only Greek I learned was 'A bottle of Retsina please', which stood me in very good stead. I wish I'd learned more.

      Delete
  3. Add continual good health as a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm still here anyway! I should last a few more years.

      Delete
  4. 50 wonderful years is a huge bonus - how many people can say that? I doubt you would have had such an idyllic life in the UK, and your children would not have had the benefit of becoming fluent in another language.
    A similar thing has happened here and I find myself surrounded by new faces, and it's a different atmosphere too. They are the next generation, doing what we did 20+ years ago - retiring to a new country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt too if life had been as much fun if I'd stayed in the UK. The problem with newcomers is that they think the oldies will be thrilled to see their range of cars, their motor bikes, their gaudy flower pots, and their bright orange hot tub, etc. If I was to say anything (which of course I don't) I would be the baddie.

      Delete
  5. Seems to me you made and achieved a very OK plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all been OK until recently, but we're getting old anyway.

      Delete
  6. You've made a fantastic life for you and the family. I bet half of your traders are envious. Now you've the best of two worlds. May you enjoy both for years to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like a little longer in France, but I'd have to become 'resident', and I would rather be a UK resident.

      Delete
  7. We all have roads not taken I think - I have had a very happy life and have no 'I wish' or even 'I wonder ifs' - I have long ago come to the conclusion that it is a waste of my brain power to go down all the other roads I might have explored. I suppose if one belonged to one of the 'faiths' which believed in reincarnation things might be different - but then I might come back next time as a beetle and be squashed by a heavy foot. You sound to me to have been very blessed in the road you did take and I enjoy reading about Brighton just as much as Haddocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good mix, especially as we have a very wide circle of friends here in Btn. In France we tend to keep to ourselves these days.

      Delete
  8. The wise one's follow their dreams, and find reality. You are wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think so, but I'm not sure others would agree.

      Delete
  9. You've made excellent choices and from my perspective are living the good life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good life you have to go with your wonderful painting.
    Do hamlet changers realize the impact they have? For good and maybe not so good?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we can't worry about what we might have done differently. It is done. Your children had a good childhood. You and lady m enjoyed your time. You are content now. Seems like your life has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have to live with the choices we make. There's no turning back. From everything you have said before, I think you and your Swedish lover made a good choice and it was brave too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...