Saturday 6 May 2023

Food for the big Day.


With the UK being obsessed with all things culinary, there simply had to be an official dish for King Charles's Coronation; and this was it.

Lady Magnon made her version for the big day. This will be consumed (part of) as a light Lunch whilst we watch the ceremony. We shall celebrate more seriously later on with a Dickensian feast (with guests) for Supper.


The 'Coronation Quiche' (as it is called) is a veggie dish. It's a standard quiche made with Broad Beans, Spinach, Tarragon, and Cheddar cheese.

I don't think Charles had any say in choosing this dish as such, but I have a feeling that he thoroughly approves of its choice. The Quiche was developed by Royal Chef Mark Flanagan who says that cheese and eggs are very much amongst Charles's favourites. Charles isn't a Veggie, but I know he likes Vegetarian food. It's all part of his 'eco' persona.

So, well done Lady M. She's now promising to make another one for next week. Yay!

Did anyone else out there make one?

 

24 comments:

  1. I thought about buying a premade one and completely forgot, but I will be having cheese and eggs for dinner. Scrambled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have invited Charles; his favourites!

      Delete
  2. The quiche looks delicious. Dickensian feast? Obviously not gruel, wild boar perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastry, cheese, eggs. My low fat diet would be taking a hammering.
    Enjoy your feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low calorie pastry, low calorie cheese, low calorie eggs, and low calorie cream. Well, possibly lower than the high calorie equivalents.

      Delete
  4. I was always partial to coronation chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I've ever had it. I suppose I must have.

      Delete
  5. Your quiche looks excellent. The feast sounds really good too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to start working on supper quite soon. Lots to do.

      Delete
  6. Your quiche looks much tastier than the recipe sounds. Might try it without the broad beans, I have some frozen spinach in the freezer, and any excuse to eat cheddar cheese! Might try it without a flan case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lady M used frozen Broad Beans, they were excellent.

      Delete
  7. It's surprising that Mark FLANagan didn't come up with a flan... or maybe a quiche is a kind of flan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His real name is Mark Quichagan, but he thought Flanagan sounded more manly.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a load of flannel to me.

      Delete
  8. We like quiche. I didn't know it was a Coronation special. The one DH and our grandson like is a Bacon Bacon quiche... made with real bacon and Canadian bacon. I used to make a chicken and broccoli quiche, but the guys prefer the bacon one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one really didn't miss the bacon. It held its own as an all veg' quiche. I wouldn't be surprised if Lady M makes another next week that she'll add some bacon.

      Delete
  9. I read somewhere that the choice of a quiche was very contraversial. Apparently real men still don't eat quiche though the new king is rumoured to like it.
    I love quiche. Yours looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever invented that saying of 'Real men don't eat quiche' should be shot.

      Delete
  10. Your quiche looks delicious! Now tell us about the rest of the food...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked salmon, charcuterie, beef pie, cheeses, Eton mess, Port. With Champagne and a beautiful wine that my son brought with him. It was all very good, but rather too much.

      Delete
  11. Ironic that they were pushing the quiche as a veggie dish. But used lard in the pastry!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...