Monday 29 May 2023

My local.


This is the bar at my local; The Caxton. You can just see the landlord on the left, fiddling with something.

A good local is very important in the UK. It's usually the hub of any community. Very different to a bar in France.

The posters hanging like bunting above the bar are advertising shows in the tiny downstairs events room. It probably holds a maximum of 50. The events are part of the Brighton Festival Fringe, and are mostly outrageously rude comedy shows; not really my cup of tea. 


The beer is good, the clientele interesting, it's dog friendly, and the whole ambiance very welcoming. It's a small pub, and does excellent Sunday Lunches. It's really nothing special, but we've been clients for about 40 years (on and off), so it's to be treasured.

Before going off on our travels we popped in for a couple of pints; sadly it'll be cold fizzy lager for a while, so it was good to have some real beer before being deprived.

There are so many pubs in my immediate area, but none of the others has the appeal of The Caxton. When I return to Blighty in September, the first place I visit will be here!

 

15 comments:

  1. Midlife crisis in later life. You are sounding torn between Brighton and France, like you are dying to stay in Brighton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually really looking forward to being in France again, but I'm not looking forward to the journey; especially after last year's return. I'll be fine once we're there.

      Delete
  2. Can you buy some "real beer" and take it with you to France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could do, but I try to travel as light as possible. I usually drink red wine anyway.

      Delete
  3. Variety .. spice ... and all that. Something to look forward to in both places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the travelling. I keep thinking of a day trip to the coast somewhere ( we are in the Midlands) but what with the trains and buses being unreliable, I have second thoughts. Have a good crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a 4 hour crossing, so does become tedious, and poor Billy has to stay in the car 'down below'.

      Delete
  5. Nowhere in the world will you find pubs like those we have in England - such as "The Caxton". This makes it all the more tragic that there have been so many pub closures in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sad, but I imagine that the one's that have closed were unpopular, and unpleasant. The really good pubs will always stay open.

      Delete
  6. They will be waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Claxton sounds outstanding and to maintain good food and atmosphere for 40 years is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few changes of Landlord, but the atmosphere has always stayed the same.

      Delete
  8. Your local sounds lovely. Brings back memories of ye olde little pubs in small villages.......40 years ago.
    And soon you'll have France and it's culinary wonders. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many delights that I'm looking forward to.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...