Thursday 25 May 2023

Haddock's of old.

 

I used to grow just about everything imaginable at Haddock's.

As well as all the usual vegetables there were vines, artichokes (both globe and Jerusalem), strawberries, figs, tayberries, blackcurrants, plums, apples, and cherries.

Then, about 5 years ago, something happened, and my crops started dying for no apparent reason. I tried treating the plants, but the problem seemed to be more deep-seated.


My next door neighbour (to the right of the photo) had invited all his builder friends to dump their waste products on his land so that he could eventually build a car parking area on more level land. I used to be horrified seeing large seeping canisters and strange packages, in amongst the hard-core, being dumped from the back of lorries. This happened on a regular basis for about two years. It wasn't long afterwards that Haddock's began having problems.

Of course I cannot be sure that this rubbish tipping had any bearing on my problems, but somehow I would be surprised if it hadn't. His land is about 4ft higher than the level of my garden, and if any poisonous products were to seep-out, there was only one way to go. One of his own Oak trees was the first to die.

So, I had to abandon Haddock's, and now just mow the long grass to keep it looking reasonable tidy. I shall attempt to grow some Courgettes and Broccoli there this Summer, but it remains to be seen what happens.

The fruit trees, that have much deeper roots, are mostly unaffected; although two have died.

22 comments:

  1. Sounds as though the soil there had major problems. It will be interesting to read about this summers trial. Couldn't you have moved Haddocks to another part of the property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I could, but that spot has always been the cottage's veg plot. In fact it's perfect, apart from it's current problem.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I hope that you are not poisoned by whatever is in that soil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I shall plant where there's been, or is, no sign of any damage.

      Delete
  3. You could hire an assassin. Just say the word and I will send you a couple of phone numbers. Please keep this secret between us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not grow anything there, sadly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that bad, I am quite confident that certain things will grow well in certain places.

      Delete
  5. Sad that you have had to abandon Haddocks after all the years of bumper crops. We used to enjoy following their progress through the seasons.
    These days you aren't in France long enough to establish something of a similar size on a different part of your land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pride-n-joy, I loved everything about Haddock's. Sadly nothing seems to stay the same for ever.

      Delete
  6. That rubbish tipping definitely affected your garden. Such a shame to lose that productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it's happened, we're no longer there all year, so it wouldn't have been used in the same way anyway. But sad to lose it.

      Delete
  7. Could be something like soil PH going up or down from leaching from the fill. You could have the soil tested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a huge amount of unused Cement and Lime dumped there, maybe that has been the real cause. Yes, I should have it tested.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry about this Cro as I know what pleasure you used to get from your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening, mushroom hunting, cooking, and Veg' growing have always been my greatest pleasures. I now have to do without the Veg' growing.

      Delete
  9. Just awful how a neighbour can ruin your life....You should not eat anything grown in contaminated soil ...In Oz you can take legal action against a neighbour for that....but as you don't live in France any longer you don't need to.
    Still it makes me sad to hear about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very sad, but he's been a pain ever since he moved next door. You'd hardly believe some of the things he's done.

      Delete
  10. Toxins in the soil is very concerning. I would not plant in this soil as toxins will transfer to your produce. Your health and wellness is important and I'd take no risks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really just one part of Haddock's that was concerned, and I certainly wouldn't plant anywhere near there.

      Delete
  11. Does your drinking water come from a well? Because I would be worried about the ground water as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily not. Our water comes from a spring about 2 kms away, is then pumped to a water tower, and gravity fed to us. Lovely water too.

      Delete
  12. Oh, this really saddens me. Can you test the soil?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...