Monday 22 May 2023

South West Annual Scythe Festival - June 2010


I'm showing this video because it reminds me of a wonderful experience.

Prior to buying our first farmhouse in France, we viewed about 2 or 3 others. One came with an enormous labyrinth of caves, where the stone had been extracted to build the nearby Chateau, another was an actual Chateau where we had miscalculated the price (I think we had a decimal point in the wrong place), and the third was a beautiful hilltop farm with several hectares of vines.  

It was this last one of which I was thinking when I saw this video (below). The farm consisted of a large stone farmhouse with two rows of barns and other outbuildings coming out at right-angles at each end of the house forming a U shape, with a large central grassed courtyard. As we arrived to view the house we were met by an elderly gentleman who was 'mowing' the lawn with a Scythe. He worked very slowly, and re-sharpened his Scythe every few minutes. The lawn was like the putting green on a Golf course; it was perfection. I had never seen such skill. 


The house itself was beautiful, but I didn't feel competent enough to deal with the whole business of wine making; I knew nothing of the process. It would have been a disaster to see the vineyard go to pot at the hands of a young English family. We moved on to the farm next viewing, and I bought it without hardly having stepped out of the car. 

I have a Scythe which I sharpen on occasions. I do manage to cut long grass, but by 'slashing' rather than anything more refined. I would love to do it properly.

16 comments:

  1. What a difference with the scything! Faster and so much quieter. And less weight to carry also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good sharp scythe in the hands of an expert is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  2. You have to be strong to scythe! He had a great swing. But a strimmer gets those edges and gives a better finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a battery powered strimmer that works well around tree trunks, but not much good on bigger areas.

      Delete
  3. I used to enjoy watching Mr. Fuller scything. He also used a scythe on the roadsides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lovely photo of us with Steve and Mr Fuller. Stephen is holding my air rifle. What a nice man Fuller was.

      Delete
  4. If neighbours got used to seeing you scything the grass, you would soon acquire the nickname, "Old Father Time".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbours already have a nickname for me, but refuse to tell me what it is. I have an idea of what it might be!!!

      Delete
  5. I would have to keep my eyes firmly closed if P ever took up scything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably also have to stand well clear.

      Delete
  6. Watching the scyther (is that what they're called?) made my knees ache. Great action, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reaper? Not the same action as the man I saw in France; his was much slower and more concentrated.

      Delete
  7. That sweeping action is very good for the waistline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to believe you on that, it never did any good for mine!

      Delete
  8. I have a sickle but have never heard of a scythe. The guy in the video is amazingly skilled. Using the scythe, like he does, is a real physical workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the scythe is well sharpened, and the person using it is skilled, it shouldn't be too tasking. Like with all things, an expert usually expends far less energy than an amateur.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...