Friday 5 June 2015

Opera.


                              Résultat de recherche d'images pour "Opera singers"

I am not an Opera fan, but like the curate and his egg, I do find it good in parts.

Like so many children, my first taste of theatre was through Panto. I loved it then, and I still do. In fact I find many similarities between Panto and Opera.

Just prior to 1600 the Camerata de' Bardi decided that humour, acting, and music, could all be jumbled together to create one theatrical art form that they amusing called 'the works' (i.e. opera). At the same time they inadvertently invented Panto. When Biggins sings 'Why does a red cow give white milk when she only eats green grass', he is in fact following that long tradition of drama and song.

If you search your local music store for Operatic music, you will probably find a good selection of 'Famous Operatic Arias' CD's; this is because the only interesting bits of any Opera are the arias. The infill is frankly a lot of nonsense (as is the case with Panto).

In most Operas this infill is no more than obscure boring tale telling whilst 'warbling' (I use the word loosely) the dialogue. The audience is obliged to listen to this tuneless and pointless anti-music whilst waiting for the next aria. In most Operas there is about 95% infill, and 5% aria; if you're lucky.

I would like to suggest that all the well known operatic arias are combined into one theatrical work, the words rewritten, and neatly fitted into the storyline of Mother Goose or Dick Whittington. Only then will I sit through two hours of Opera (and/or Biggins).

N.B. Christopher Biggins in an English actor/raconteur/Panto dame/party goer/and general embarrassment.




16 comments:

  1. I know about the Middle East. I don't know anything about opera I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should have left the Middle East posting up; in fact it was more about Israel than her neighbours.

      Delete
    2. Read as far as ....more...and then nothing!...feel the same as you about both pantomime and opera...loved Punch and Judy...still do!,

      Delete
  2. I have never been to an opera, but I do enjoy the well known music. The Pearl Fishers duet is one of my favourite pieces of music/song. Pantomimes leave me cold…..possibly because I was never taken to one as a kid ( my parents wouldn't have been able to afford it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe now (this Christmas) is the time to go.

      Delete
    2. I could think of better things to go and see!

      Delete
  3. If Janacek's 'From the House of the Dead' ever comes to anywhere near where you are - give it a whirl. You might change your mind. Or even his 'The Cunning Little Vixen'.
    (You will gather from this that I am an opera fan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sticking by my guns Weaver; not a fan.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of joining several arias together and ditching the infill. I don't mind the infill too much really, it's just that I rarely understand a word of it.
    I don't like panto, my husband loves it and will take any willing child so that he can sit rubbing his hands with glee at the spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo Cro! It looks like it's from an opera from our worst nightmares.....Wonder why it takes the heroine so long to die when they look as "robust" as the lady above!
    Not keen on panto, though I must have been forced to sit through them all at some time. When you analyse it, it's such a weird form of entertainment, so perhaps best taken at face value!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ballet but I think the only opera I've been to is Pirates of Penzance. Love panto (why would you analyse it?) - I'm waiting for some grandchildren so I can go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a G and S comic opera falls into a different category. Still not my favourite, but OK.

      Delete
  7. I'm afraid I can't bear it. Each to their own- it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been an opera fan, either. Himself never was, either, and then he watched part of one on tv one night and found himself really enjoying it. I could change, I suppose, and learn to like it, but for now, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been halfheartedly researching the origins of the phrase 'It isn't over until the fat lady sings' for a long time now. My favourite opera was Carmen way before the gipsy lifestyle took hold.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...