Sunday 14 June 2015

Swearing.


                                Résultat de recherche d'images pour "man swearing"

I seem to be surrounded by people who fucking swear all the time, and, frankly, I find it fucking disgraceful.

Firstly there's our 'rather eccentric' electrician B. B is a man unto himself, he only turns up for work if he's got nothing better to do, he is extremely messy, and he swears like a fucking trooper (for no apparent reason).

I can't count the times that Lady M and I have heard tirades of expletives (en Français) coming from some distant corner, only to find B happily fiddling with his wires. I'm not sure what he actually finds so frustrating; his work, or something else entirely.

Then there's my weird ex-neighbour C. C moved away from our little hamlet a few years back, but because he moved into a tiny village house, he kept a vegetable garden some 300 metres from here. He now turns-up almost every day to hoe and harvest; also I imagine to escape the claustrophobia of his new garden-less home. I pass by his patch on a regular basis whilst walking the dog, and more often than not find him mid-expletives. Just yesterday morning I discovered him using the most stentorian floral language whilst hoeing his potatoes. I imagine some terrible lifetime frustration is at last being given vent.

Of course, I'm not immune myself to a bit of rant. If some plaster slips from my trowel, or my hammer misses its target, or I'm painting some Bozo who won't sit bloody still, then I'm known to say 'bother' or 'damnation'; and who could blame me.



22 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!

    "I find it fucking disgraceful"....I know just what you mean. It IS fucking disgraceful, isn't it? Why the fuck can't some people express themselves without using so much fucking profanity? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So educate us ~ what are some French swear words? And do they use the F word?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily, you hear a lot of French children (mostly boys) using the English 'F' word. I think they imagine it's 'cool'. It will probably become part of the French language before too long.

      Delete
  3. I swear only when i drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was such a prude when I was younger. Then I worked at a university with academics and they taught me how to use expletives effectively. And often. I can now 'f' and 'blind' with the best of 'em. Liberating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was taught to swear at school, where expletives were simply regarded as adjectives. Only about 2 words were totally banned.

      Delete
  5. Swearing does seem to have fitted nicely into modern English usage. I never remember my father saying anything more than damn - and I never heard my mother swear. When I married the farmer (twenty two years ago) I said I had never heard him swear and he replied 'not in front of ladies'. Still haven't heard him swear so must presume he sees me as a lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard my people swear; ever.

      Delete
    2. My parents would never swear either. Still don't and are quite scandalised when I let out the odd "Shit!"

      Delete
    3. Weaver, not only is the farmer a treasure, but I am beginning to think a saint.

      Delete
  6. I have never been much of a swearer but, the older I get, the more I do !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a generation thing isn't it? Our parents never swore (presumably neither did our grandparents) and we never swore either. As youngsters, fifty odd years ago, we doubt we'd have even recognised a swear word. But today it seems that those same words are in general use as part of any conversation. Are we alone in being horrified at the language youngsters - particularly girls - use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found myself being censorial with Green-Eyes the other day, because of her indiscriminate use of the F word about once in every three others. In a way, I was pleased that she feels so relaxed in my company that she can do this, but in another I feel as though she is watering the impact down, like the boy who cried 'wolf'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After twenty years of teaching in urban schools, you'd thing I'd be inured to bad language. I've told myself, "they're just words" and I've been known to drop a few questionable comments myself. But overall, I'm just plain tired of it. Why fill the air with such unimaginative unpleasantness when there are so many other words to choose from? I guess much of it is just that - the swearers have no others, what with their limited vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fav swearing rant was when I heard a 15 year old patient in a wheelchair shout " soapy tit wank"

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really funny (well it is to me) when you hear a little old French lady say 'merde' - usually for something quite minor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...