Saturday 7 September 2024

Re-Stocking.


I love getting back to Blighty just as much as I love going out to France.

My first big task this week was to go shopping, to re-stock the house with essentials and not-such-essentials. The kitchen cupboards were totally EMPTY.

I did bring back a lot of things from France. Tins of Paté, Confit, certain types of Pasta, canned Fish, etc, which are mostly unavailable here, but things such as butter, meat, eggs, vegetables, and fruit, all have to be re-stocked. Small treats also have to be bought; Black Pudding, Bacon, Haggis, etc. As you might see, my kitchen cupboard is now groaning (above). I shall soon now have to start on the freezer.

We still eat soup every day for lunch, so all my favourite ingredients needed to be bought; Potatoes, Leeks, Cauli, Pak choi, etc. I also always keep an Aubergine and a few Courgettes handy.

As I was going around my local BIG Sainsbury's, I suddenly realised what a 'creature of habit' I am. I literally went from shelf to shelf in exactly the same way as I always do. Nothing varied at all.

I shall buy some Lamb for the weekend, and make a Greek-style Kleftiko. We're already back into the regular swing of things.

p.s. I'm now seeing all the things I missed, so I will need to return this morning. After that we should be OK for the coming week.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like you won't be starving anytime soon. How wonderful that you have everything you want both there and here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep two very well stocked kitchens. I like to think that we could survive for at least two weeks.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing so satisfying as seeing well-stocked kitchen shelves and to know that you can last for a couple of weeks (3 months in my case!) which proved to be good thing when Covid struck the first time round. Always be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My people had a cottage on top of a Welsh hill, which regularly was snowed-in. We were advised to keep 2 weeks worth of supplies there; 'just in case'. I think it's good advice wherever you live.

      Delete
  3. I love a good shop and a well stocked fridge. For me, it's now approaching that time of year when homemade soupl will be on the lunch menu more times than not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a good warming chunky veg' soup every day from Autumn to Spring (and sometimes more). It's cheap, healthy, and sustaining. What could be better?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There are several already. Qweer will be looking for another to level up as lefties consider such matters. I'm surprised you don't know.

      Delete
    2. Who knows YP? Some say it has already started. We shall see!

      Delete
  5. We are all creatures of habit, routine brings us comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Going back to my store again (after 3 months) felt extremely comforting.

      Delete
  6. Cupboards all re stocked and ready to make delicious culinary delights ! You're good to go ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great feeling. From being empty to now being filled is very comforting.

      Delete
  7. The one thing about living in the U.S. is there is no daily shopping habit or for me no weekly shopping. I get what I need for about a month and I have a good 9 months supply ahead of most things. It is a 15 minute drive to a store, which means 15 dollars worth of gas for each trip. I am fine out here in the woods. I wish I could live as you do for a month and you could do the same over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of your isolation, but maybe a bit closer to civilisation would suit me better. Both here and in France I am about 30 mins drive from my big supermarkets.

      Delete
  8. I think the depression caused our parents to stock up. I never bought more than we needed for about a week... (and all mostly fresh) until the pandemic. Now I do keep some things on hand all the time... just in case. But you are right about always buying pretty much the same stuff... if you look at my grocery receipts, they are almost always identical..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My receipts too. Almost identical!!! Post war economy was tricky, but not unpleasant. We survived, and were very happy.

      Delete
  9. I hope you really enjoy the kleftiko. I know you've made it many times. Kali orexi...bon appetite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having a well stocked kitchen is important...especially when you love to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have everything to hand; especially spices (even the one's I never use).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...