Sunday 2 June 2024

Sod's Law.


This lovely Globe Artichoke plant is situated just outside our front Bay Window. It is big, luscious, and full of junior Artichokes.

But, just to annoy me, the plant has decided that the Artichokes won't be ready to eat until after we've left for France. As you can probably see below, there are lots of them, but all as yet far too small.


I've had a word with my neighbour, and with Kimbo, to take them as soon as they're ready (in two weeks maybe), and not let them go to waste.

However, I'll put 50p on, that the dried-up flower heads will still be there in September. Why are people so afraid of them? I know they are fiddly to prepare, but they are delicious; and they're FREE.

 

9 comments:

  1. Now I wish I were your neighbour. I too love globe artichokes. I wouldn't call them fiddly. But then I do enjoy slowly working my way to their heart.

    U

    PS Waitrose currently £2.00 per shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always grown them in France, but two years ago all my bushes died. If I see any roots on sale somewhere, I might re-plant.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful and very productive plant. Hopefully someone enjoys the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. It would be such a waste not to.

      Delete
  3. Very fiddly getting rid of all those spiky leaves, cutting out the choke, splicing the stalk to eat as well. But worth it, a couple of times a year. Otherwise we use frozen. Baba Stathi, Uncle Stathis, does all the hard work for us.
    Most people have no idea how to strip and clean them. Or how to cook them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are frightened of them. They have no idea what to do.

      Delete
  4. Cro, I have never grown them myself, but have seen the plants... and love to eat fresh artichokes! We either steam or stuff them with lots of breadcrumbs, garlic, parmesan cheese, and olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally just boil them and serve with a vinaigrette. The old-fashioned way. I'm not very adventurous.

      Delete
  5. They are sold in our local supermarkets - both fresh and in jars, but I've never bought any. Not sure why, because Ive enjoyed them on the rare occasion they have been cooked by other people or in a restaurant. Perhaps it is the fiddly preparation that puts me off - I prefer quickly prepared meals these days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...