Saturday 29 June 2024

Cricket Ball.


I keep this old Cricket Ball in my sitting room. It lives on the Coffee table in front of my sofa.

Every so often I pick it up, roll it around my fingers, and enjoy the feel of its well-worn leather. It has a wonderful feel to it.


It reminds me of just about everything that is good about England. It reminds me of my youth, of my native Surrey village, about Kimbo who still plays Cricket regularly, and it also reminds me of what we in England call 'Fair Play'.

Those who were brought-up playing Cricket possibly have a different outlook on life compared to those who weren't. It teaches patience, skill, and most importantly that 'the umpire's decision is final'. A quick comparison between a Cricket audience and a Football audience makes that quite clear.

Cricket originates from the game of Stoolball (which is still played in parts of Sussex). Stickball soon followed, then the 'stick' became broader, and Cricket was born. Stickball and Rounders later became Baseball; the first ever mention of which can be found in Jane Austin's 1818 novel 'Northanger Abbey'.
 

I was never a good Cricketer. I was a 'feared' fast bowler, but my batting skills were sorely lacking. Above shows a game at my alma mater, and even looking at the photograph brings back wonderful memories. It was always the one moment of the Trinity term when one could totally relax (if one wasn't actually playing).

I don't know when my old ball was last used in anger, but it must have been at least 30 years ago. Every so often I wax it, and give it a good shine. The ball itself weighs nearly 6 Oz, and has a beautiful, almost antique, colour; not unlike an old leather sofa at Boodles (I imagine).

It's my English version of 'worry beads'.

23 comments:

  1. Wait till YP comments. You won't live it down.

    I totally get Ian Botham and the "Whites" (think washing powder adverts of old). The game? Well, my then future father-in-law and his son took me to some village green to watch my first [and last] cricket game. And very pleasant it was. The sun was shining, the ambience so English ripe strawberries wouldn't have been out of place. Pimm's anyone?

    What I took away from the experience? That most wonderful saying, since you mention fair play: "It just ain't cricket".

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cricket isn't for everyone; especially the 5 day Test Matches. It's a bit like being a member of an old 'Gentleman's Club', where most of the members sleep for days on end, only to wake occasionally to partake of a slice of Spotted Dick with Custard. Does that explain Cricket?

      Delete
  2. Ah, someone else who knows about stoolball!
    When I lived in Sussex, one of our neighbours wives played for a nearby team (Storrington I think) and we played it at our primary school. Outside Sussex I've never yet met anyone who has heard of stoolball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live just outside Storrington in West Chiltington. Very much the home of Stoolball.

      Delete
  3. I once played stoolball with our office team in Worthing. I was rubbish of course. No eye-hand coordination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once found a Stoolball bat in a junk shop; I should have bought it. A rare object.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the one day matches I've seen when in NZ. Ive seen a few matches on greens in England. All very civilised and pleasant.
    I have a cricket bat here from my old primary school. I brought it back for the grandkids but we've never played. There's nowhere suitable for a start. They would break too many windows. Your ball has a lovely hue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bat here was 'crafted' out of an old plank. It has been used by everyone, and I've had no complaints (yet).

      Delete
  5. I played cricket for my school. I was the wicket keeper. One day a ball exactly like that one smashed out some of my front teeth. It was a life-altering moment that of course I have never forgotten. In those days nobody wore helmets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was I bowling? Yes, it's a dangerous game. One needs protection. I was watching some women's Cricket on TV last winter and noticed that their wicketkeeper wore no pads. I wondered why!

      Delete
    2. "Pads" can have different meanings and no, it wasn't you bowling!

      Delete
  6. I have a cricket ball, I bought in Oxford, when we were there for a conference. A solid memory tie to a magical adventure (a tea in the rose garden at Christ Church hosted by the Archbishop of Canterbury.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old one or a new one? The old ones have a special charm.

      Delete
    2. A new one, never been played.

      Delete
  7. What is more English than Cricket? Nothing I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It reminds me of Sundays in the Summer, going with my Mum and Dad and sister to watch my Dad play cricket and having tea in the club house. Happy times. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your Mum have to prepare the 'Cricket Teas'?. Lady M was often roped-in with my son's club.

      Delete
  9. Hand oils , as well, keep the ball clean and polished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can se that that would keep the leather pleasant looking.

      Delete
  10. One of my sons played youth cricket and football. The boys were typical lary teenager playing football on a Sunday. Saturday though they totally changed character when donning the whites. Perhaps playing with adults helped? I just enjoyed being outside for 5 hours and the teas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, the thwack of leather on willow, it's the sound of summer to me! X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...