Wednesday 26 June 2024

Gateau Breton


Should you be travelling through France, and happen to wander into a Leclerc supermarket, look out for this 'Gateau Breton'.

It was a huge pleasure, recently, to discover that this 'speciality' is still around, and in exactly the same format as I remember it from decades ago. It is a little known pie/tart/cake with a prune filling called a Gateau Breton. Totally delicious. Perfect for a riverside picnic with either a cup of Tea, or even some Pink Champagne.


On the other hand, I have always thought that it would be the perfect cake/tart for Christmas, and not as filling as some of the more traditional fare. Maybe someone would care to import it into the UK in late December?

Whatever the occasion it's delicious. Do not deprive yourself.

 

16 comments:

  1. I immediately looked up the recipe. That looks good!! We get German cakes from the big German supermarket chain and sometimes they have specialities from other countries. I've never seen this .
    I don't think I'll be making it although your description does entice. The 6 egg yolks put me off.
    It's something I need to eat before I bake it.
    Bring some when you come to sample my mousaka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps and a bottle of pink champagne please

      Delete
    2. I would never dream of trying to make this myself; in fact I've just bought another one!

      Delete
  2. How do you retain that sylph like figure with such delicacies on your menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very hard work JayCee; very hard work!

      Delete
    2. : ) You have had a lot of smile worthy comments and content lately.

      Delete
  3. We visited a Leclerc in Ljubljana , Slovenia last Thursday! ( We were there for our son's wedding )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delightful ....... I'm not really a cake person but i would definitely enjoy a slice of that ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been having a small slice with our afternoon Lapsang; I have a feeling that it might continue!

      Delete
  5. So many great things to eat in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could come from almost anywhere, just pastry and prune 'jam' filling. But delicious.

      Delete
  6. I've not seen this anywhere in the US. I'll inquire about it at the Concord Wine and Cheese Shop, Concord, MA where they make and import specialty items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find it, you'll love it. Very simple, but delicious.

      Delete
    2. I see there are lots of recipes online.

      Delete
  7. Not sure about the prunes, but I'm sure for those who like them it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...