Friday 28 April 2023

Mr Hamilton.


Following a recent picture posting, I want to show you another painting from my collection, and one I particularly like. It's this small 'impressionistic' sketch by the wonderfully named Vereker Monteith Hamilton.

Hamilton was a Scottish artist, and lived from 1856 to 1931. He was more noted for his grand historic battlefield paintings than for landscapes.

The painting measures about 6 by 4.5 inches, and is now under glass. It was bought at Sotheby's along with a load of his brushes, pallets, and other studio clearance stuff. Amongst all the ephemera was an outdoor carrying-box filled with his oil sketches. There were about 10 sketches in the box, all were on small wooden panels; I bought three from the man who'd bought the lot. They are very quick sketches, presumably for later reference. Only one contains his monogram, the other two are named on the back. 

He seems to have been from a very distinguished family, and his major works fetch high prices. Unfortunately mine wouldn't, it's too 'flighty'.

Lady M doesn't like it, but I insist that it stays on the wall.

21 comments:

  1. I like that too.
    Somewhere hot and sunny.
    Isn't the frame a little overpowering?
    My grandpa used that outdoor painting kit. It is interesting to see the tools that people used, and the sketches, not just the finished articles. Sometimes I prefer the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frame does look a bit heavy in the photo, buy it's OK. When I visit The Tate I always go to look at Constable's full-sized sketches. They are more impressionistic than the impressionists, and I actually prefer them to the finished jobs.

      Delete
  2. If it gives you pleasure that's reason enough . . . but could it give you pleasure where Lady M doesn't have to see it? Just a thought . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't actively moan about it. She just doesn't like it.

      Delete
  3. I have a Donald Hamilton Fraser which has been with me for 60 years on many walls with mixed reactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like some of his work; very colourful. You're lucky to own one.

      Delete
  4. Do we buy art for value or because it delights us? I prefer the latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't care less what others think of my purchases, but I would prefer that they like them as much as I do.

      Delete
  5. I like it. It has a look of maybe the Mediterranean or the Middle East to me - certainly somewhere warmer than here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vereker Monteith Hamilton sounds almost as impressive as Crozier Ethelred Magnon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lady M on this one, it does nothing for me!
    My late father in law, with whom I had a mutual hate relationship, had several prints on his walls. Unfortunately, they were all from Coolidge's 'Dogs Playing' series! He was a person (I'm not going to call him a man, he was a slug) of infinite poor taste! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know the ones. Dogs playing cards, etc? Taste is a funny old thing.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art preferences are very individual. You can't please everyone all the time. I once told a friend not to look in the direction where a painting hung, if he did not like the painting. The complaints ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main criteria is that paintings must be well painted. I like to see skill in the drawing, the application, and the choice of palette. Otherwise, I'm easy!

      Delete
  10. I'm echoing gz, the tiny picture is totally lost within that too heavy frame. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the impressionists. This painting of yours is exquisite. My wife is a decendent of the Nasmyths. The painter and the steam hammer designer. Not a fan of the formers work myself, but hey ho, keep it to ourselves eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite is Pissarro.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To be frank, I am not sure on this painting. It might grow on me… I’d like to see more works from Mr. Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...