Tuesday 25 April 2023

Crops for '23.


Once a country boy, always a country boy!

I may no longer have Haddock's, but I now have Haddock's 2, here in Brighton, which is the size of a postage stamp (if such things still exist).

Last year I grew 'Tumbler' Tomatoes in two wall-mounted planters. The crop was a reasonable success, but would have benefitted from more watering during our absence.


This year we will again plant a few 'Tumbler' Tomato plants, as well as some Cavolo Nero plants. 

As you can probably see, this year we also have a very healthy looking Globe Artichoke plant, a 'Black Hamburg' Vine under the bay window (which you can hardly see), and a few essential herbs. The Cavolo Nero plants are those tiny seedlings in the five pots, and will be planted-out in a tiny strip opposite the front door. I'm sure they'll grow!

I find it difficult NOT to grow edible plants. It's something I've been doing almost all my life, and I can't stop now. As long as I get something to eat from them I'll be happy. I'm not expecting a bumper harvest, but a few leafy greens next winter will be very welcome, and Cavolo Nero is a real favourite. 

I'm hoping that Kimbo will eat the Artichokes; unless, of course, they flower before we leave.

 

20 comments:

  1. Beware cabbage white butterflies!
    We gave up on brassicas last year.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had too many problems with the Cavolo Nero. I wonder if it's a bit bitter for them? Also, not too many Cabbage Whites here in central Brighton.

      Delete
  2. Postage stamps are a lot larger these days-and you dont have to lick them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never have success with tomatoes, but everything else flourishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grow wonderful crops of Tomatoes in France; then something happened, and disease hit. I now rely on a friend and neighbour who always grows lots.

      Delete
  4. The greatest gardener who ever lived - Alan Titchmarsh M.B.E.- would be delighted by your efforts.
    P.S. Alan just happens to be a Yorkshireman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel Colborn VMH (the other greatest gardener of all time) just happens to have been educated at my alma mater. What more can I say!

      Delete
  5. The artichoke is flourishing. You just might get a flower before you leave. They're almost over here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't get one or two here, I will certainly have quite a lot waiting for me in France. Last year I picked about a dozen.

      Delete
  6. Here’s a little hint for your tomato baskets this year. Go to the supermarket and get a packet of childrens’ trainer pants, the sort that they wear when they’re out of nappies but not quite ready for normal knickers. They have a massive amount of those water holding granules in them and you can use them to partially (or wholly!) line your hanging baskets if you just cut them to shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful tip; thank you. I shall look to see how the price compares to other water-retaining material. It would make a good talking-point at dinner parties!!!

      Delete
  7. There is a special magic in growing plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially ones that you eat. I love growing vegs.

      Delete
  8. Even a few veggies in a pot can give a lot of satisfaction! Spring wouldn't feel right without planting SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Even if it's just a few Toms or Grapes or Artichokes, it's better than nothing.

      Delete
  9. Growing is very satisfying and you seem to have mastered growing both large and small gardens. Having produce from France and Brighton sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much from here I'm afraid. I grow things here just for fun, and to have at least some small things to eat.

      Delete
  10. I haven't managed to grow edible things for many years now, conditions here are against me. Luckily the supermarket is five minutes walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to mention that you have to take any plastic linings off the trainer pants first or your tomato roots won't be able to access the granules. But I'm sure you'd know that anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...