Wednesday 19 April 2023

I got my comeuppance.


I have always been not only a painter of pictures, but also a collector of pictures.

When I was managing The Fine Art Gallery in Devonshire St back in the late 60's, I was in the perfect position to buy small, reasonably priced works, from my boss. I was never a big spender, I should think the most I ever paid for a painting was around £20.

Amongst my purchases from that era was this small, slightly damaged, and frankly rather scruffy 'piece' of a painting by Italian Fra Fillipo Lippi (1406-1469). I had no idea who he was at that time.


I was selling a few pictures at Sotheby's and at the last minute decided to take the Lippi along as well to see if it was worth £millions.

When I showed it to the lady on the pictures desk, she said loudly 'We don't sell Fragments'. 

I replied, 'but it's a Lippi'.

'We don't sell Fragments' she repeated in an even louder voice. 


I felt so small. Everyone around me looked to see who the time-waster was. I continued with the other pictures I'd taken to sell, and all calmed.

I still have the 'Fragment', and I do now understand that it is worthless. It sits by my head behind my sofa, and every time I look at it, it reminds me of that nasty woman. Being forthright is OK, but being polite with clients is more important.

I wish I could remember what I paid for it (without the frame), I think it was £2; but at least I can say that I own a bit of a Lippi. It might be worth £3 these days.

 

22 comments:

  1. If you like it, it is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it; no-one else does.

      Delete
    2. Art of any shape or form is an individual choice, whether it be making or liking or owning

      Delete
  2. Well, I like your Fragment despite Mrs Snooty's denigration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, but the more I look at it, the more I think she was probably right. However, she might have been more diplomatic.

      Delete
  3. A treasure, even if she rejected you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A minor treasure. I still enjoy looking at it.

      Delete
  4. No matter how tatty your 'fragment' is, Fra Fillipo Lippi created it, using his hands, at least twenty three years before Columbus 'discovered' America.
    It may not have any monetary value, but it's still a wonderful thing to own!
    As for the woman on the pictures desk, "We don't sell fragments", her next words should have been "Or use manners"! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Col, you have expressed my attitude perfectly.

      Delete
  5. I have a feeling that someone (Browning?) wrote a poem about a Lippi painting - must find the book amongst my large poetry section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I am amazed. I had never heard of him before I looked-up the name on the back.

      Delete
  6. I find the idea of fragments being virtually worthless rather odd. Perhaps you should get that Lippi fragment revalued. You might receive a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It must have some value. He is (apparently) of importance, so even a slither should be worth something.

      Delete
  7. I find when I buy that pleases me, I never tire of it. This can be said for your Lippi as well. The Lippi continues to be a good purchase for you. Ms. rudeness must have been having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they simply see too many time-wasters at Sotheby's. But that's no excuse for rudeness.

      Delete
  8. Value doesn't matter if you like something - it's all about personal choice.
    Who knows - in ten years time it may be worth a small fortune, so hang on to it. Art, like everything else in this world, is subject to fashion. You just need a couple of "influencers" to start singing Lippi's praises and it will push the price up to a nice little inheritance for your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I count on your help to sing those praises? I'll slip you 10%.

      Delete
  9. "But it's a Lippi" makes no difference at all when it is only a small part of a Lippi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan Bennet wrote a Talking Heads about a dealer selling a painting of a finger very cheaply only to read later that it was the finger of God drafted by Michelangelo for the Sistine Chapel. It was a 'fragment' that sold for a great sum of money. I know it was only fiction but, stick that in your pipe, Sotheby's lady!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...