Tuesday 11 October 2022

Old Boy Dinners.

 

Every year I receive an invitation to the Autumn Old Boys Dinner. They are quite fancy affairs, reasonably expensive, but with first-class catering and always a distinguished speaker; often an Old Boy. Their location changes from year to year.

For many years I haven't been able to attend because I've been abroad. Now that I tend to be in the UK at the time of the Autumn Dinner, I don't really have the inclination to attend. There are fewer and fewer OE's of my era and I probably wouldn't know anyone.


This one (above) was dated 1909, and was held at a swanky London Hotel. Note no women present, and they all look pretty well turned-out.

This more recent one (below) was held just a couple of days ago in the school's own Dining hall, which was created from a huge medieval Tythe Barn.  Plenty of women in this one, some maybe Alumni, others possibly wives.

                                            

It's always a Black Tie event, and I believe they are very 'jolly' affairs. It would be fun to go, but I think I shall resist. These days I'd rather stay at home and dine with a few close friends and be nearer to my cosy bed. 

Anyway, I no longer own a dinner jacket.

19 comments:

  1. I attended some kind of fancy dinner at the Officers Mess years ago when hubby was in the Army. What a night! The speeches went on and on and on, way too much wine was drunk by many, but the food was good. I heard later there was some sort of "After Party" with beer and people dancing on the tables. We didn't stay for that part, we had kids at home that needed putting to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These events can be fun, but they can also be a nightmare. These days I prefer to stay away.

      Delete
  2. I would probably nod off before the cheese arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are correct to avoid such gatherings. While I am curious about some former school students I remember from then, not enough to go to any kind of reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they're OK if you live nearby, but I don't.

      Delete
  4. We have school reunions but my 50th was during Covid. They can be fun, but yes, I seem to have outgrown these events...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people attend old school reunions with unbridled enthusiasm whereas others avoid them like The Plague. I fall into the second category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a third category; those who just can't be bothered.

      Delete
  6. Looks rather stuffy, in some circles we call those herd meals, I agree with you, a smaller gathering is more fun these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't cope with big crowds, especially of people I don't know.

      Delete
  7. These are usually networking events. All very important in business and financial circles. Connections were and always will be a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did go to my 50th reunion at my senior school. It was OK and nice to see a few of my old classmates but, as a friend who didn't go said, " I would have kept in touch with these people if I had wanted to and don't see why I would want to see them now " !!! They had another one this year but I didn't go. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M keeps in touch with her Old Girl's Club through a dedicated web page. They still chat, but no reunions.

      Delete
  9. Even suits I understand are becoming things of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. School reunions? Hideous notion! Friends who've attended any of theirs are usually universally shocked at how old "everyone else" looks, hahah!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...