Thursday 19 March 2020

A Pot-pourri.



Someone has recently been 'pooping' in the woods; not deep in the woods where no-one would notice, but right beside a nearby path where I take my early morning walks with Billy. Yuk!

I imagine the people involved are working on a nearby house that has no water, electricity, or bathroom, but this is no excuse for behaving in such an oikish manner. I'm sure they could easily take a trowel or spade with them and leave no trace; but this would involve some amount of  'decency', where obviously none exists.

Otherwise our tiny hamlet is a tad calmer than in times past, with no more screaming fish-wives, or dog kickers; both noticeably absent due to their self-imposed isolation. Yes, we still find escaped horses in the garden, our neighbour does continue to make an unbelievable racket and issue forth huge clouds of acrid smoke from his wonderful eco-furnace, and work does half-heartedly continue on the delightful holiday village; but with COVID-19 on most people's minds, we tend to ignore all these other tedious details.

The Quince is in flower as are the Peach and Plum trees, there are flower buds swelling on both the Clematis and Wisteria and on the vines, there is a very vague green haze over the non-Chestnut woods, and grass is suddenly growing much faster than just a week ago. I have even planted a couple of rows of Red Onion sets. Amazingly, we still haven't had any really nasty winter weather, but give it time.

Each year I write myself a 'do-able' list of unpleasant tasks to undertake over winter, and I have finally completed all; I will now be able to relax until digging, mowing, and planting starts in earnest in about a month's time. Having said that, I'm just off to mow the estate! Fabulous weather here.

The circle is almost complete.

27 comments:

  1. As to poo round the country side and leaving dogs aside, oh my god.

    Don't know whether you have ever been to Corsica. A long time ago.

    There was a fairly large contingent of us (friends), though spread over a handful of miles. If we needed "to go", toilet roll in hand, we'd just step out there into the wilderness, "maquis" (prickly). It was an odyssey to find a spot, obviously out of sight, but also one that had not been used before. The clue was in dried and abandoned tufts of toilet paper.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, Cro. Before I give Corsica's sanitary conditions a bad name, and didn't make clear earlier: We were camping in the middle of nowhere. Close to the beach. The lagune particularly useful for washing clothes. Which, oddly, along with washing the dishes in the sea, always fell to me.

      Cinderella

      Delete
    2. I'm sure we've all had to 'go wild' at least once in our lives, but there are certain procedures to follow. No 1 is never to leave any visible sign!

      Delete
  2. Poo? I can't imagine. I planted three rows of white spanish onions and the neighbor gave me three red onion sets. I love reds but they don't seem to keep as long as the spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quite a few small ones last year, usually mine a quite big and plump. I prefer the red to the white.

      Delete
  3. If humans had to carry their own poop bags in case of emergency, I would sometimes require a black bin liner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much info there Pudding. I have enough to deal with here.

      Delete
  4. Oh, dear! How unsavoury. Meanwhile, Mother Nature continues to do her thing, blithely ignoring the consternations of the human species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear the nearby trees moaning. Not surprising.

      Delete
  5. One time when the trains were on strike and we were stuck for somewhere to stay spent a week in a solitary camouflaged caravan belonging to a German in a wooded glade in Italy. The owner of the caravan gave us a spade and indicated a suitable for digging the morning holes. He neglected to tell us about the snakes and we only discovered them when a group of local women came by beating the undergrowth with their sticks and told us the snakes in the are were poisonous and to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a bridge nearby? You could always play Pooh Sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wot.... with real pooh? Winnie would be outraged.

      Delete
  7. Lovely morning here. The blossom is coming out everywhere. I have cleaned out the woodburner so that tonight the fire might go a bit better, it was so clogged up last night and no wind that it was slow to burn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That my first job every morning. Keep the air-ways clear, then it burns beautifully. Lovely day again here too; 21 C this afternoon.

      Delete
  8. Not something I’d want to come across on a walk in the woods ! It’s funny how wild animal excrement is perfectly OK but human somehow isn’t !!! A friend of mine lived in a lovely Georgian house in a little private road, opposite the primary school our children went to. Now and again she would find some drunkard had left her a present on a Saturday night by the gate !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little thought on behalf of those responsible, and we'd never have known. When I first came to live here, no-one had indoor loos (or even outdoor ones), but there was never a sign.

      Delete
  9. You'll have to make yourself a new list to pass the next month or so. Did you finish the chair you were re doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm waiting to find some nice material for the seat; the rest is done.

      Delete
  10. The poo problem is particularly prevalent in Spain on the Camino de Santiago, where thousands of pilgrims leave deposits in the woods. There are absolutely no public toilets along the route. Full marks to France, where I've noticed and used a couple of loos on their Route St Jacques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I'd never given thought to all those pilgrims. Maybe The Vatican should fork out a few Euros for some loos!!!

      Delete
  11. Thanks to Nature for the tree blossom...life does go on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a lovely day here, it's difficult to believe that life is not perfect everywhere!!

      Delete
  12. There is something so satisfying about crossing out all the jobs on one's to do list - perhaps the answer is not to make a list for summer I have decided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much to do in Summer for lists. My Winter list is always filled with nasty things I've been putting off. It's good to have it all done.

      Delete
  13. Knowledge about digging a hole for yourself has been lost. Your list must have been very sensible, unlike my long list that I will never reach the end of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list usually contains about a dozen unpleasant jobs. One to be completed every couple of weeks; or longer if I can get away with it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...