Sunday 17 June 2018

Jim Beam.




In about 1966 I was managing The Fine Art Gallery in London's Devonshire Street. The gallery was situated next door to Peter Langan's infamous Odin's restaurant.

One of the gallery's regular clients was a young officer from the US naval base in Grosvenor Square. He exclusively bought beautiful Piranesi prints; a very discerning collector.

Through some jiggery-pokery he had managed to acquire himself two books of discount tickets for his PX store, and supplied me with bottles of Jim Beam bourbon at a few shillings a time. He offered all sorts of goodies, but I stuck to the bourbon.

I have just noticed that my Supermarket has a special offer of litre bottles of Jim Beam (above), so I've decided to make this my this coming winter's bottle of 'whiskey', instead of Scotch. It's been nearly 50 years since I last tasted it, so I hope it lives up to my memory.

p.s. The last time I saw the above mentioned officer, he was heading back to Grosvenor Square to smash-up equipment. It seemed that the Embassy's naval base had an annual budget, and that if it was not fully used, they had to break-up equipment to such an extent that the budget would be increased the following year. Everything that they smashed had to be classified as 'Lost at Sea' (in the middle of London!).

Lunacy exists the world over; I hope my bourbon purchase doesn't also prove to be lunacy.


28 comments:

  1. I don't drink it but a female acquaintance does. She drinks Talisker but enjoys Jim Beam with Coca Cola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it as being 'Scotch', but with a pleasant difference.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Maybe I would too; possibly best to stick with what you know.

      Delete
  3. Think carefully about how your tastes have changed since your younger years. I could once drink bourbon but I now find it far too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it as being sweet, but you're making me worry!

      Delete
  4. American whiskies are sweeter, I prefer the peaty taste of Scotch. But only on a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't bought it yet, and I'm already beginning to change my mind. Leclerc have Aberlour Single Malt (I had a bottle two years ago) on offer too; maybe I'll go for that. I drink very little; just the occasional sip.

      Delete
  5. I used to drink Jim Beam in my youth and now my son in law drinks it. When I tried it again a few years ago I found it too sweet too. Tastes do change.
    Good price though! Lady M can always make a few bottles of homemade Bailey's with it if you find you no longer enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a rash decision based of youthful memories. I shall stick to Scotch.

      Delete
  6. Pass me the single malt, dump the JB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rather like that suggestion of home made Baileys above - shall try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well my partner goes for Penderyn Welsh whiskey as a treat. Not on sale everywhere, but you can find it at our chemist amongst the wines for some extraordinary reason. A chemist with a palette for wines and whiskey some how it seems the wrong combination....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was very small, the Chemist's was the only place you could buy Olive Oil.

      Delete
    2. Same here. It was thick and gooey.

      Delete
  9. Buy it before the French slap on import duties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim Beam was my brother's choice. But, then, he was Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got crazy drunk on Jim beam when I was 24" never tasted it since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember getting drunk on it, but I probably did!

      Delete
  12. My dad preferred scotch. I don't drink due to migraines, but do use bourbon to cook with. Love to marinate our steaks in bourbon and make whiskey sauce for bread pudding, etc. And I have indulged in an Irish whiskey on occasion. Why not buy the Jim Beam and the scotch... it may be a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was supposed to read "Irish coffee" on occasion....

      Delete
    2. I buy one bottle for winter, and take tiny sips. More for the beautiful aroma than the alcohol. I'm now not sure if the JB will have that effect.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...