Saturday 9 June 2018

I wonder what ever happened to....



Our wedding was a somewhat haphazard affair. We wanted to get married in Paris, but were told that we would need to be resident for two weeks; we couldn't afford the time, so we decided on Gibraltar instead.

At the time, the Spaniards were playing silly buggers, and had closed the border between Spain and Gib'. One either had to fly in direct, or take the ferry to Morocco then take another back to Gib'.

This meant that we ended-up having our 'honeymoon' in Tangiers before the actual marriage ceremony itself.

On the ferry between Algeciras and Tangiers we met three Americans; two female secretaries and one male dentist, all from New York. We decided to find an hotel together, and ended up sharing one large room with four beds. The communal shower room was a huge wet-room with six shower heads, there was no room for shyness when taking a shower. The whole Moroccan ambiance was great fun.

The dentist, GG (let's call him Gary), was a very nice guy. He instantly threw himself into local traditions, and quickly returned to the hotel with a big slab of government stamped Hashish, which we sampled at once.

We didn't stay in Tangiers too long, but spent some great times together.

Before we left for Gib', the American trio very kindly presented us with a wedding gift; a very attractive black and white woven blanket that we loved. We used it for many years before it finally fell apart.

I don't remember the names of the two secretaries, but Gary's name has always stuck in my mind, and I recently decided to consult Google to see if he was still around.

Dr Gary's name was all over the net. It seems as if he's one of New York's most important practitioners in Prosthodontics, with loads of honours, professorships, and several books, to his name.

I was almost tempted to write him a 'Remember me?' letter, but thought better of it.



28 comments:

  1. Why on earth not write to him I am sure he would be thrilled. Google has helped me get in touch with lots of friends and acquaintances from previous times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send the letter. You'll either make his day or make him change his address. Either way you'll have fun writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be fun to remind him of certain things we did.

      Delete
  3. Your pre-honeymoon sounded original. Do your grandchildren read your blog? :)
    I would definitely write to him.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-one reads my blog Maria; just thee and me.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure he would remember you. Do it, what have you got to lose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly would remember his time in Tangiers, and I expect he would remember having shared a room with a couple of Brits; otherwise.....

      Delete
  5. On a different subject I gather you (the French) are playing us (New Zealand) at Eden Park tonight in Rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could talk about teeth I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he'd want to talk about MY teeth!

      Delete
  7. I would get in touch with him. Be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contact him, Cro! You wrote this post for a reason. You're meant to reconnect. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You shared your nuptial apartment with three strangers? I don't think I would forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember it was 50p a night each. Too good a bargain to refuse. If you slept on the flat roof, it was halp price.

      Delete
    2. Preceded by a romantic, candlelit dinner for five?

      Delete
  10. Hard call really. You will do as you do. Perhaps late at night emboldened by a glass of red or five, followed by a tiny Scotch, you may be very tempted, but save it for a morning review. I try to cling to the past, but it really doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want him to think that I'm contacting him because he's well known, and probably rich!

      Delete
  11. Do it Cro! I think he'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will, I'll have to think about it.

      Delete
  12. He remembers you, too, odds on. Or at least the hash. Since he came to mind, do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, think you were right Cro. I think some happy but fleeting relationships like this was are best left as memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...