Sunday 7 January 2018

The Wassail.



                           

Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera with me last night so the above of Lady Magnon, from a previous year, will have to suffice.

It was a damp chilly old night, but we went a-Wassailing regardless.

This year's chosen tree was the Jonagold, up in the orchard by the barn.

Her roots were anointed with Cider, her trunk and branches given a good beating, and Cider-dipped toast hung-up for the benefit of the Tree Spirits.

Ye olde poeme was recited (by me), then we all returned home for more hot Cider and Mince Pies.

Wassail the trees that they may bare
you many a Plum and Pear.
For more or less fruits they will bring
as you do give them Wassailing.

Twelfth Night is a busy time. Not only did we go Wassailing, but all the season's decorations came down and were packed away in boxes until next needed. The tree was taken off to the bonfire where it will later be burned. In fact tonight (last night) things are very much 'back to normal'. The house suddenly feels very bare!



28 comments:

  1. It only took us a day to get used to the bareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our crazy English customs. All our decorations are down but we still have some ham in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham and Turkey are less easy to dispose of than the baubles.

      Delete
  3. I love how you stick to traditions and Wassailing is a lovely one.
    I'm looking forward to taking down our decorations today.
    On Epiphany Eve here, a bonfire is set up where the witch (old year) is burnt and the direction that the ashes and sparks blow will foretell if it will be a good harvest year. There is usually warm spiced wine to drink too.
    Greeting Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need the hot spiced wine on evenings such as we're having. No-one complains.

      Delete
  4. Your twelth night festivities are far more colourful than ours. And a bit of feasting as well!
    I'll be writing about our twelth night/day soon too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure you would do; just to make us jealous!

      Delete
  5. At least I now know what Wassailing is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's another type as well, where people go to houses to Wassail, but our version is more bucolic.

      Delete
  6. I wish i had more time to look about that beautiful tradition and learn more, may be in few weeks i'll have more time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all a lot of fun; things we country folk do to avoid boredom.

      Delete
  7. I start singing "Here we come a wassailing" when I see your heading The Wassail. Did you used to sing it as a carol? We did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, but not when we go a-Wassailing. Maybe we should next year.

      Delete
  8. I denuded the tree yesterday while my daughter was feeding the baby. I did it quietly, allowing plenty of time to appreciate each piece and remember its story. I think I enjoy taking the ornaments off even more than I do hanging them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly come down a lot quicker than they go up. Mine was stripped and taken outdoors in about 5 mins.

      Delete
  9. 12th Night used to be much bigger than Christmas day. Good to see you keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never understand why people take their decorations down at any other time.

      Delete
  10. I love to read about your old customs. No wassailing around here, but I've begun dismantling Christmas. I should be finished tomorrow - or maybe Tuesday. It doesn’t really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always start a Wassailing tradition. How about next year?

      Delete
  11. I remember that picture Cro and love the fact that you continue with such an earthy and kind tradition.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her hat was even better this year; silly I didn't photograph it.

      Delete
  12. I love it when all the decorations are down and away and I can dust properly again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a nice feeling of being back to normal again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...