Friday 24 June 2011

Bunbury.


The 'Hattatts' recent posting concerning their search for a 'Mad Boy' reminded me of my own fictitious mad boy; a cross between David Niven, Lytton Strachey, and Stephen Fry.

Mine, of course, is simply a 'Bunbury'; and where would I be without him! He has numerous daughters, all of whom have now married several times, he has a whole gaggle of grandmothers all of whom have to be visited in their various care homes or hotels, and he throws monthly dinner parties all of which I am duty bound to attend.

We are also cousins, therefore we have other family in common who also demand attention. And he himself is prone to disasters which need to be resolved.

All these events, visits, and parties sadly coincide with unwanted invitations from elsewhere, and save me from eons of boredom. So I thank my 'Bunbury' (I can't give his name or my cover would be blown), and suggest that everyone should adopt one of their own. They cost nothing, are endlessly faithful, and are an essential friend in times of need!

12 comments:

  1. Hello:
    How absolutely splendid! And what a wonderful excuse to have at the ready to avoid the dull and dreary aspects of the social calendar. So much more convincing than, 'We are so sorry. We see from the diary that we shall be watching television that morning/afternoon/evening/night'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One final word about 'Mushrooms'. As I said yesterday, most foragers will pick about FIVE varieties that they know very well. However, there are always those whose bravado overtakes their common sense; avoid these people like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather nice to have so many invitations you need a Bunbary, she says plaintively.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. This 'Mad Boy' thing is starting to perplex me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you don't start talking to your imaginary friend all will be well. Now that you have come clean with this, everyone whose invite you have turned down is going to be suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No-one reads this MBJ. Only me and thou!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, is he kinda like Harvey the Rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How deliciously devious! (Now, why didn't I think of that?) We have a horde of grandchildren, so often use one of their real or imaginary activities to wiggle out of undesirable social events. After all, we can't very well tell people we're simply old poops who enjoy being at home, now, can we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny Cro,I have a friend who just says no thanks not interested...lol..I think your way is much nicer and less hurtful..I do envy you though having that many invites you have to find an excuse lol .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both Lytton Strachey, and Stephen Fry are (in different ways)personal favorites of mine.
    As to David Niven, well, I know little of him (really) although anybody whose autobiography was titled The Moon's A Ballon must have been an OK Geezer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carole. You Aussies are so much better at such things. Bluntness often pays! We know someone who always says 'I'm expecting an important phone call'.... tedious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...