Wednesday 13 April 2011

Pasta Not So Pronto.

OK, I'm a foodie; and about 3 years ago Lady Magnon acknowledged my love of simple Italian fare by buying me this basic pasta making machine.

I'm ashamed to say that it has yet to prepare any pasta, and I bet there are tens of thousands of other machines similarly confined to the backs of  'men's' cupboards (next to the wok, and the blood splattered mandolin).

It's not that I don't want to use it; I'd love to. But when I suddenly decide that's it's a pasta night, I go straight for that jar of 'dried'.

Other than soup pastas (vermicelli, stelline, seme di riso, etc), I only eat three varieties; spaghetti, tagliatelle, and penne rigata. Frankly, the other multitude of shapes I find 'unnecessary'.

I'm in need of encouragement. So if you use a pasta machine on a regular basis, or just know how to do so, I'd rather like some user-friendly tips; no matter how simple.... Otherwise I'm ready to go!

11 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a 'blood-spattered mandolin' - that sums it up nicely, and would also make a good title for a thriller.

    I don't think the Italians go in for fresh pasta in the same way as the rest of trendy Europe, do they? All I can suggest is that you dig up a 2 kilo white truffle, then lightly grate it over your pasta for the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted one of those gadgets. Shame on you Cro for not having played with it yet. But they do say that dried pasta is just as good as fresh so convenience wins the day. I think you should have a go, make some ravioli or lasagne and let us know what the result is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, try a boot sale. There'll be hundreds on sale; all brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one once. Too messy. The last time I used it, I had flour paw prints all over the house. And the dogs weren't even helping me make the stuff.

    I do, however, make a pretty mean sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one as well. It was fun the first time, then . . . not so much. If I make fresh pasta these days I just roll it out myself and slice with a knife. I just hate cleaning gadgets like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those things scare the heck out of me Cro. I just chicken out and find a friendly little restaurant that makes fresh pasta and buy it from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gave away my mandolin before it became blood splattered. It seemed like a good idea when I bought it; I never could get the hang of it. I love gadgets and have many sitting in a dark corner of my cellar, forgotten and unused.

    I buy fresh pasta in the grocery store. Tastes wonderful and there is no mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used one. I sometimes make homemade noodles at Christmas, but I just roll them out and cut them with a knife. I'm afraid it would join my other unused gadgets in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My problem is (like the awful jumper that was given you by Great Aunty Maud) that it has to be seen to be used. I imagine one day there'll be a great flourish, then it'll be hidden for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cro. we got one for our daughter for Christmas and she loves it and the kids all pitch in to make the pasta,she does her cananoli sheets on there,lasagna and all,I guess as she is not the washer uper it does not matter lol,like the breadmaker they come and go, we use ours a lot,then visited our son who's bread was so beautiful and no breadmaker,first easy bread recipe that he googled and it is perfect...damn!!! could have saved a zillion hours research and bread making packing packs lol...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i totally love my pasta machine. needs no washing, per directions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...