Wednesday 18 September 2024

Kibbutz

 

Other than Biblical references, I think my first real awareness of Israel was in the late 1950's, hearing of young people from the UK and US heading for the country to work on the kibbutzim. I remember them going to give their time and effort for a few weeks or even months; many during school or university holidays. They were unpaid, but were fed, housed, and extremely appreciated. 

Kibbutzim have been much in the news since October 7th. They are collective farms unique to Israel. They date from the 1920's, and I believe there are about 270 around the country, containing around 126,000 volunteer workers.

All are run on grounds of equality, and all work is shared. There is no distinction between men or women, old or young, Jewish or gentile, black or white. A Kibbutz is the epitome of mutual co-operation. 

When you look at aerial photographs comparing the borders between Israel and Gaza or The West Bank, you immediately see the difference in methods of agriculture. In Israel it is well organised and efficient; elsewhere it is rather haphazard. I think this has a lot to do with the example shown by workers on the Kibbutzim.  

Do neighbouring Arabic countries have anything similar? I don't think so. Some people are naturally enterprising; others are not. 

15 comments:

  1. The picture is of Moshav Nahalel, I grew up not far from there. I wish many more would know the details and our reality as it really is and not as it is depicted in the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been impressed by the idea of collective work on the kibbutzim. Moshav Nahalel is probably the best known, on account of its pattern. A wonderful example.

      Delete
  2. It was 'fashionable' in the 70s to go off and work in a kibbutz for a few months. A lot of the Australian and NZ friends I had in London did just that. I thought about it and came to Greece instead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, it was how I first became aware of Israel in the late 50's. I was very impressed.

      Delete
  3. Friends daughter was at a kibbutz for quite awhile. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone who went loved it. A wonderful experience.

      Delete
  4. If I had been the adventurous type back then I may have gone. I am too boring though so stayed at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would loved to have gone but life caught-up with me, and I was too busy trying to survive. I'm not really the adventurous type either.

      Delete
  5. It cannot be easy in such a climate and landscape to coax the soil to give forth. I planned to work on a kibbutz in the mid-seventies but instead became a counsellor on an American summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was Hayley Mills there? Keeping those kids in order must have been fun!

      Delete
    2. On the whole it was fun. It was a day camp so they went home around 4.30pm. Hayley Mills was not there.

      Delete
  6. Many friends have spent time on a kibbutz and they enjoyed it tremendously.
    I recently read if you want to buy a property in Israel they are available. In the US, these homes are promoted in New York and New Jersey. Given the war, how can people consider a purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine there are many parts of Israel that are relatively untouched by the constant bombing, etc. However, if the war escalates it could be a very different matter. I hope a solution is found as quickly as possible. I've seen no estate agent ad's for Israeli homes here in the UK.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...