Thursday 13 March 2014

Haddock's DUG!



There is no worse a feeling than that of being 'useless'.

And that is exactly how I felt a couple of weeks ago, thinking that I would be unable to dig Haddock's; due to my bad back.

It's a depressing thought that 'dodgy hips' and 'sciatica' could bring an end to an activity that I hold essential to my life-style and philosophy.

However, Saint Fiacre has looked kindly on me once again, and with Lady Magnon's help we have prepared the ground for this year's crops; without too much serious pain (I'm pleased to add).

Haddock's will now lay fallow for a while, until some rain and further sun weaves it's magic and leaves the soil pliable enough to be rotovated to a fine tilth. Plenty of time for me to spread the compost and some horse manure.

There's a little more digging to do, but only where our few winter 'greens' are still just about hanging on.

I'm now suddenly more confident about the future, I reckon I've still got a few more Haddocking years ahead of me.

I can feel my winter depression lifting!




21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm suffering a little bit this morning, but not more than usual. It's such a good feeling to have it done.

      Delete
  2. Well done you - it looks great in the sunshine. My back is aching too after a gardening session yesterday - oh the joys of getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is very jealous. He has got an awful lot of digging to do in a couple of week's time. I shall be too busy fighting cobwebs and evicting hidden critters to help of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what your soil's like, but it's getting very hard here. Not much fun for digging.

      Delete
  4. It's a beautiful sight to this midwesterner suffering from last night's storm and today's single digit temperatures, with not even a ray of sunshine to make the snow sparkle. My bones ache, and not from digging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to torment you, but it's over 20 C here; lovely.

      Delete
  5. No digging of any kind here in Maine. Soil is still rock hard frozen and covered in 3 feet of snow. I still managed to wrench my back scraping the sleet of the deck on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes I think everyone here in England feels the same way, we had a lovely sunny weekend and suddenly neighbours were out, cutting grass and stoping to chat. Strangers greeted one another cheerfully, the sun gave us all a great lift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspirational. In response, I would gallop outside right now and start digging were it not for the foot (at least) of snow that's still blanketing our land.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing like a bout of sunshine to lift that winter depression. Our veg garden is still far too wet to get on to, but it was dug in the autumn so should not take too much going over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done, Cro! It's a beautiful sight all freshly turned in the Spring light ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks beautiful, Cro. I'm so jealous of all the green!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nothing better than digging in the garden and planting your own food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely spot. So green already. We still have ice and frozen ground in the sheltered areas but winter is fast retreating, and rain in the next few days will bring out the last of the frost. Will spend time this weekend raking up the winter debris … and the neighbours' dogs' deposits! That, I hate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "From this point on it is said St Fiacre barred women, on pain of severe bodily infirmity, from the precincts of his garden shed." Says that in Wiki so it must be true. Patron saint of those growing vegetables and healing herbs, eh? Might send him a little prayer as the new batch of Italian Grape Tomato seedlings go in tomorrow... something along the lines of 'please keep Marcia out of the precincts of my raised beds'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are covered with snow and the ground is frozen. And yet, earlier this week, a friend shared that one crocus in her side garden has defiantly poked its head up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...