Tuesday 18 March 2014

Lez Miz.


                                                        

I mentioned some time back that my daughter, Tenpin, failed to be selected for the role of young Cosette in the 1978 TV version of Les Miserables, with Anthony Perkins. When it came to her audition, for some bizarre reason, she refused to speak; which was so out-of-character that it also rendered us totally dumbstruck!

This last weekend I saw the film for the very first time, and frankly I'm pleased she didn't get the part.

What a dreadful film it was, with some of the most pathetic 'crowd scenes', costumes, and make-up that I've ever seen. Some of the early prisoner scenes had men with wigs and faux-beards that were worthy of Monty Python, and much of the acting was just plain 'Village Hall'.

Amazingly some of the 'also-rans' were top quality actors. Amongst others were Cyril Cusack, John Gielgud, Celia Johnson, Flora Robson, and Angela Pleasence. Although I don't think any of them would have been too pleased to be reminded of their participation.

I very rarely criticise a film to this extent, but here I have to make an exception..... Dire!

I'll give it 1/10 (the 1 being for Flora Robson, who used to live just down the road from us in Brighton).


11 comments:

  1. A friend on mine who worked in theatre said it was known in the trade as 'the glums' Have you seen the latest film? I have a copy but need to feel sufficiently strong to attempt it. Probably best in my memory was the BBC serialisation back in the year dot!

    So sad to hear Clarissa Dixon Wright has died. I have just started reading 'Spilling the Beans' on your recommendation and am enjoying it. Seems rather poignant now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a lass, even if she exaggerates slightly.

      Delete
    2. No I haven't seen the other film, but I did recently hear a BBC radio play that was excellent.

      Delete
  2. Ah Flora Robson - they don't make 'em like her any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her in black narcissus
      A face like an old welly top

      Delete
  3. I'm told the latest film good, as is the play. I read the book a few years ago and haven't wanted to attend either.
    Ahh Flora Robson - Divine!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1/10, brutal!! I saw it live in Toronto back in 1989 and liked it very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have seen the stage show, not this dreadful TV film!

      Delete
  5. (I haven't seen any of the movies/plays nor have I read the book; but when I do, I'll make sure not to watch this one)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the book, all the film adaptions I saw, and adored the play. The last movie with Anne Hathaway and the rest of the brilliant cast was the best though. I am pretty sure I saw the one with Anthony Perkins but because I am in love with the story, I might have never noticed its flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book was best; they usually are!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...