Friday 20 January 2023

My Grandfather's Grandfather's Clock


I was made temporary custodian of this Longcase Clock back in about 1984. My Aunt in London bestowed it on me by surprise when I visited with my ailing father; her cousin. Luckily I was able to fit it in my car, and return it to Shropshire without any damage.


I am assured that the clock was made in 1735 for my family, and has been with us ever since. The family lived near Saffron Walden, and the clock was made by Charles Debnam of Newport which is just a few miles away. It has Arabic numerals, as did many early clocks from East Anglia.

The clock has a long pendulum, and a lead-weighted chain which needs to be raised every day in order to keep it wound. I recently shortened the pendulum (there's a little nut) to make the clock keep better time; which it now does.

Just beneath the middle of the clockface, is a semi-circular opening with numbers. I had never really noticed this in all the nearly 40 years I've been looking after it, so recently I looked to see if the little dial would turn easily; it did. I presumed it was to show the date, so I set it correctly and waited 24 hrs to see if it had changed; it had. So, the clock not only now tells the correct time, but the correct date too.

It's a very nice old clock. Very much a cheap country made pine case, but with a decent movement. It has a very relaxing tick, but the annoying hourly chime has been turned off.

I had a man check the workings when I was in Shropshire, and he cleaned and tinkered. It's run perfectly well ever since. It was he who told me of its date.

It will go to my oldest when I'm no longer around, and from him to his oldest; etc. It's not to everyone's taste, but I doubt if there are that many clocks of that age that have stayed in the same family since they were made. They may not be over pleased to become eventual custodians, but it must NEVER be sold; 'doom' would fall upon the family.

34 comments:

  1. It's a lovely clock, you are fortunate to look after it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy it more for the family connection. But it is quite an attractive piece of furniture.

      Delete
  2. How good to see it used and appreciated. I fear too many have had a battery operated clock installed and the lower compartment fitted to store glasses and booze! 'It's wine time'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is mostly original. The glass (amazingly) is original. The only obvious change has been the 'skirting' wood around the very bottom, that I imagined had rotted at some stage.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful family heirloom. Nice to think of it going to new generations down the line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already shown my oldest grandson how it's wound, etc. He did show interest.

      Delete
  4. What a handsome clock. A lovely piece of family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of my ancestors all listening to that same 'tick' before the interruption of Radio and TV.

      Delete
  5. We have one as well, made by my husband's great great grandfather, it has the family name on the dial and stands in the hallway, with pictures of great grandfather G and his wife next to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. Did he make the movement, or just the case?

      Delete
    2. He made the movement. He was a clockmaker at Calne in Wiltshire. Not sure about the case though.

      Delete
  6. It is a wonderful thing to pass down from generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but sadly it's not always very convenient for the new custodian.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You have something similar, if I remember correctly. I expect yours is 'fancier' than mine!

      Delete
  8. A wonderful heirloom to pass along and it's great that it is still in good working order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it's good for a few years yet. These old clocks were made to last.

      Delete
  9. I love these old clocks. Never be tempted to oil it. Get a good clockmaker in if it acts up. WD40 is not good either.
    If it does have bearing or more likely pivot wear then it isn't a big job, a few taps with a punch round the bearing and a fresh ream will sort it. Bearings are funny things as one would expect the brass to wear but the brass picks up dust and wears the steel. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it was made by him. They bought the movements in and got them engraved. It's worth researching as it could have been made by a respected company.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I presume it was assembled by Denham, not made by him. He would have made the case, then put his name of the face.

      Don't worry, I would never attempt to tinker with the insides. If it does ever stop, I would probably just leave it until a good mender was found.

      Delete
  10. I love the ticking of a key wound clock. I am surrounded by the ticking. I know someone that has his clocks synchronized so that they don't all chime the hour at the same time. They are all set five minutes apart. He said, "If I didn't, the noise would make me crazy!" You know what would make me crazy? Having all those clocks and not knowing what time it is! You are a fortunate person to have such a clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was at school, one of my senior prefects had about 20 clocks in his study. They all worked, and when he did some caning he would choose to do so on the hour. I remember it well.

      Delete
  11. Further to mine above..... The wood rots from too much washing of the stone floor around the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it lived for most of its early life in a small cottage with stone floors. I think it's quite common for the 'skirting' to rot.

      Delete
  12. In my experience things passed down through the family eventually arrive at a generation who don't want it (if you happen to be an only child it is difficult)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the dilemma. But it's too important for people to ignore their duty. Even if it went into a loft, it would have to be kept.

      Delete
  13. It has been in your family, longer than the USA has been a country,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a country. It's a collection of states. The clue is in he name.

      Delete
    2. It's roughly the same age as our cottage in France.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful clock and with such personal history.
    My grandparents had a grandfather clock with a similar family history. I vaguely remember it as a small child, but no idea what happened to it. Probably sold for scrap or chopped up for firewood, by the eldest son, like the beautiful Georgian rosewood dining table I always coveted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My people bought a lovely old thatched house in Sussex where the son of the previous owner had simply built a bonfire of all his possessions on the front lawn. In amongst the ashes we found the very distinctive brass hinges from an antique corner cupboard, and other wrought iron hinges from a ancient coffer. We could hardly believe that someone could be so callous.

      Delete
  15. A clock with family history is precious. I hope the next generation and the generation after that values the clock as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will. They'd be unwise not to!

      Delete
  16. It's a very nice clock, though I think the wood could use a little TLC in the form of polish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...