A diverse offering twixt the interesting, the unusual, and the amusing.
Friday, 20 December 2013
Christmas; likes and dislikes.
LIKES. 1. I love that we devote one specific time of year to eating particularly delicious, and expensive, foods. Mankind just HAD to organise that; it would have been crazy not to!
2. I love all the music that accompanies Christmas, from Wham to Wagner. I love the brainless Phil Spector Do Wa Wa's, just as much as the Carols from King's. As an ex-choirboy (Oh yes I was) singing is in my blood, and no more so than at Christmas.
3. I love the kitsch of the decorations. At what other time of year could one possibly decorate our interiors with such appalling, and tasteless, glitz, other than at Christmas time.
4. I love giving presents. Not too many, and not too expensive; just enough to say 'I'm thinking of you'. However, I'm not terribly keen on receiving them.
5. I love the nostalgia of Christmas. Remembering times past, old friends, and even previous homes. Somehow I associate many of my 'best times' with Christmas; and luckily this continues.
DISLIKES. 1. I don't like that preparations for Christmas seem to begin just after Easter. The appalling drawn-out hype and commercialism really bugs me.
2. I don't like that everyone is suddenly supposed to be 'full of seasonal good cheer'. I like to keep to myself, and that includes Christmas. Leave me alone! Thank you.
3. I don't like all the religious nonsense that has now invaded our ancient festival of Saturnalia. All the images of a hippy looking, bearded, Caucasian traveller, just make me smile; and as for the virgin birth nonsense; give me a break!
4. I don't much like the HUGE sugar-overkill either (not that I eat any of it), it is a cynical and unhealthy money-making disgrace.
5. And finally, I really don't like all those idiots who go on lengthy pub-crawls wearing cheap Santa hats, leaving the pavements awash with vomit.
PICTURES & PLANES ..........
*I went to the cinema yesterday ..... I like this cinema. It's an
independent, three screen cinema for arthouse and mainstream films, plus
theatre and b...
3 weeks ago
The difference between an optimist and a pessimist, is that the optimist enjoys himself whilst waiting for the inevitable! I AM that optimist!
This is a daily, optimistic, 'photos and comments' blog. I make no judgements (only occasionally), just notes. If you wish to comment in any way at all, please feel free. Everything and everyone (except the obdurate and dictatorial) is very welcome.
I was born just south of London, but for the past 46 years I've lived in S W France. I am a painter by profession, and writer by desire. Lady Magnon and I live in an ancient cottage, in a tiny village, in perfectly tranquil countryside. We have a vegetable garden called 'Haddock's' (this may crop up from time to time), plenty of fruit trees, and a view that takes the breath away; we also have a Border Collie called Billy. I try to treat our planet with respect, and encourage others to do likewise (without preaching).
Contentment is a glass of red, a plate of charcuterie, and a slice of good country bread. Perfect!