Tuesday 13 November 2012

Cro's 'Lumberjack' Pork Pie.



It sounds simple. You make a pastry with flour, lard (I used duck fat), boiling water, and salt. Press it into a specially-made heavy pork-pie tin. Fill with seasoned coarsely ground pork. Top with more pastry. And bake.

Well that's what I did, and, yes, it was simple. But to achieve a real Melton Mowbray style pie is not so easy.


As you can see, I slightly burned the top (it wasn't as bad as it looks); using our wood-fired cooker is a little hit-n-miss on temperature. I covered it with aluminium foil, and all was then OK.


When I asked Lady Magnon for her verdict, she said "It reminds me of the pie that Pip stole for Magwitch..... it's very good". She always says the right things! 

Now all I have to do is work on my technique with the jelly; all the gaps should have been filled. I couldn't get it to pour in; too much pork inside perhaps!


Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good when you cook something and are told how good your efforts turned out? It is always wonderful to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did say something even more complimentary, but modesty got the better of me!

      Delete
  2. Well done you - although it does look more like a game pie in the picture. But it definitely looks good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks beautiful. Chinese sweet pork buns are my thing...many of the same ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed and my mouth watering -- I'll bet it was scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The pie that Pip stole for Magwitch...' What larks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen chefs on the telly put the jelly in through a little hole in the top, using a syringe.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the hole (top picture), but couldn't get the jelly in. A syringe sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  7. You are a hero in the kitchen Cro. Detailed recipe for the pork part please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filling is simply coarsely ground fatty pork, with salt, pepper, and herbs. I used belly pork.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a great pie.
    Better than most of the ones on the Great British Bake Off on the telly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, that looks good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious, Cro! I find my first efforts in culinary ventures are usually okay, but it takes me a few times to find the groove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks as if it could be complicated, but in fact it's as easy as pie!

      Delete
  11. I am so curious about this pie I have never heard of before. It looks delicious. Thanks for the "inside" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for a man who can cook. And you made the pastry yourself? I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does look tasty...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks oozing with calories, but I couldn't half eat a piece of it. (Making my mouth water)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have nothing at all like this in my part of the world. Looks heavy and delicious. Not sure how delicate the dish is, but can you make a bunch of holes when you turn it out, squirt the jelly up the sides, then quick flip it onto the plate? You could then squirt the jelly in thru the top hole as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a cracker! Looks delicious, jelly or not!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...