Wednesday 8 July 2015

Confused, and more Confused.


Most of the structural beams up at the barn are Oak, but some are Pine and these desperately need to be sanded. Doing it by hand is a mug's game, so I went in search of a simple sanding attachment for my drill; a bit like the one below, but more modern.

I was looking for one that had a cushioned pad onto which circular pieces of sand-paper could be fixed (by way of Velcro). A simple enough tool.


Well, I found exactly what I wanted at my local Bricorama DIY store. Perfect in every respect... except for the price. They were asking the UNBELIEVABLE price of THIRTY THREE BLOODY EUROS (yes, €33). 

Are they off their effing trollies?


So what did savvy-shopper Cro do? I looked around at what else was available (whilst constantly wiping fury from my issuing brow), and came across the above. A perfectly serviceable orbital, variable-speed, sander that cost me a staggering THIRTY ONE EUROS (yes, €31).

Now I might be a cost-conscious consumer, but for goodness sake; how can a simple sanding attachment cost €33, yet an all-dancing electric job costs €2 LESS? 

Is it just me, or is this just plain lunacy!

p.s. When Scottish-born Aussie A J Arnot invented that very first electric drill back in 1889, who could have imagined the amount of spin-offs that are now readily available. A small electric motor mounted in various different ways, has given the tradesman/amateur DIY-er, an ease of work unimaginable to those living all those years ago. Almost every tool can now be found in powered form.

Many thanks A J; you're my hero!  



19 comments:

  1. AJ is forthwith mine too. I love my drill. Um, yes, strange pricing. Obviously pays to shop around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat another of my hats if the new sander's motor hasn't burnt out in two days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad but true, nothing is made to last these days, though we'd hope for more than two days. Where was it made Cro, or are there no prizes for guessing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain you've already guessed correctly; although I can't confirm it at present (it's up at the barn).

      Delete
  4. I am an old-fashioned girl Cro and never touch or even read about sanders - I just about know what they do and that's all. My man does the sanding while i cook his lunch.
    (quite often getting the skeleton of the recipe from something you suggest!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you really wanted was a variable-speed polisher made by a Japanese or German company - about 600-1800 RPM, but that would have set you back about 200 Euros. I've got two. I could have lent you one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belt sander is much better than an orbital one, unless of course you want circular marks on the surface. As with all tools you only get what you pay for Cro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No nasty circular marks so far... I'm using quite a fine grade paper to finish.

      Delete
    2. With Belt sanders you follow the grain and they also have a bag at the rear that collects the dust.

      Delete
    3. Mine has a bag, but it doesn't seem to collect any dust.

      Delete
  7. I'm a useless-at-DIY- women.But I once bought an orbital sander; I used it on an antique wardrobe, sanded about 8 in square and left it. I put the sander in my husband's workshop. He's much better at DIY than I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope your brief encounter was pleasurable.

      Delete
  8. That reminds me of when I was in the market for new printer ink for my computer printer and a new printer was cheaper and it came with extra ink cartridges. I purchased the new printer instead! Quite odd indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must have good knees, but saying that, couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Best left to professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the higher price for some of the accessories occurs because they are handy, so the market charges the highest cost it thinks consumers will be willing to bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not me; I went for the cheaper option.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...