Sunday 19 May 2013

The Ideal Home(s).



I've posted the photo of this local Pigeonnier before, and the more I see of it, the more I view it as a 'perfect building'.

'Homes' to me have never been places to show-off in a 'look how smart/rich I am' sort of way. This doesn't mean that I haven't owned some impressive houses; I have, but they've always been bought because of what they've offered, rather than for Kudos value.

Nowadays the idea of having several small homes appeals much more than just a single impressive one. And to add to where we now live, I'd like to start my collection of tiny homes with the above Pigeonnier. Just enough room for a bed, table and chair.

One room in each of several perfectly positioned small homes would be ideal for me. The essential would be they are old, vernacular, and have jaw dropping views (they'd also need to be incredibly cheap). 

So there's already the house we're in, there's the one above, and I shall definitely need one on my favourite island of Formentera, and I know the perfect spot. There are several tiny stone-built boat houses overlooking the bay at Cala Sahona; one of those would do just fine.

Otherwise I need a small cabin in Corsica's Centuri, a one-room shed in Positano Italy, and a bijou grass-roofed red-painted wooden shack on a tiny private island somewhere off the coast of Sweden. 

My selection of tiny properties would all be European. I feel at home in Europe and the early architecture is generally pleasant. Maybe one on a Greek island, next to a beach-side taverna, would be a good addition, and another overlooking The Bosphorus, but anything further East would begin to worry me.

How many's that? Only 8; I could probably manage a few more!







9 comments:

  1. Ooh I like this game...I shall give it some thought and let you have my 'desirable residences' wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting question. In no particular order... I would like a holiday place in Iceland, well away from Reykjavik. Another one near Crookhaven in Ireland, must have sea views. Next I'd like one on the west coast of the Isle of Man - somewhere near Niarbyl, sea views essential. Then, for a spot of warmth, a place in the hills near Florence - views and a pool required. If I can be really greedy then I'd like a place in the Western Isles of Scotland - west coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least that leaves all my choices reasonably quiet.

      Delete
    2. ... forgot to say, I love the Pigeonnier. It beats Belleau Dovecote hands down.

      Delete
  3. I will reserve one of the cottages here for you, one overlooking the pond a stones throw from the Atlantic complete with almond eyed dusky maid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Tahiti but you could entertain your Paul Gauguin phase...

      The acccommodation is pet friendly but the crocs in the river aren't.

      Delete
  4. You could probably buy the whole of Greece for a few euros right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What???? Nothing in Oregon? The Palais de poulet is vacant

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...