Sunday 23 December 2012

Who Lived In A House Like This?



Why's Cro photographing some pile of old stones?



Here it is from the other side, and (surprise surprise) there's a rather dodgy looking doorway.



And on the inside one can see how it was constructed; stones going round and round in ever decreasing circles. One can still see evidence of fire on the blackened back wall and ceiling.

It's an ancient borie. Not our usual type, which is smaller and has an actual flat stone roof, but a very ancient variety of unknown age. I quite expect its original inhabitants dressed in animal skins, and knew nothing of Christmas or roast Turkey.

It lives in the woods, a pleasant 4 Km dog-walk from our house. I wonder how many people even know it's there?

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. it's remarkable that it still exists after all this time. do you see many of them around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only one of this type that I know of.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic - you should do an archaelogical dig around the site - see what you can find. They knew how to make houses that last didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. This 'stone igloo' would be somewhere I would love to sit and try to get a sense of the people who built it and all those who have lived in it. A hidden treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. I saw something similar in Scotland near the shores of Loch Ness. It was open to the sky as most of the roof had caved in. Yours is in marvelous condition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing house - if it were in New Zealand, I would have said, 'Hobbit'. How wonderful that things survive through neglct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a permanent dread that someone will come along one day, and use the stones for house foundations! There ought to be some protective order on it.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you could research and suggest that, Cro.

      Delete
  6. That is SO COOL! Oh, I love coming across treasures like this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I wish I live closer - I might set up a fort in there and camp out some times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Elaine, i'd love to be inside there and get a feel of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful and I agree it needs to be protected

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...