Monday 23 October 2023

Those I would like to thank.

 

Usually when I sit down to write my daily blog, I have a pretty good idea of what I will write about, but just sometimes I sit and ponder about 'life' in general.  

So, I'm now sitting here in front of my laptop thinking of the few really good things that have happened to me throughout my life. Of course there have been lots of less important things, but the really good ones are quite rare; these are some of the people and events that have made my life special.

I recently read a biography of Agatha Christie, and at one point she writes to her editor, Philip Ziegler, concerning her own autobiography "I've been rather enjoying jotting down silly little things that happened". So, here I go too.

Firstly I would like to thank my late parents. They offered me so much, and I like to think that they knew I appreciated it, and took full advantage. My life has probably taken a slightly different path to what they expected of me, but I have always continued to maintain their standards, which I know was very important to them.

Many of my teachers from an early age are worthy of thanks (as I suspect are most people's), but I would specifically like to thank the classics teacher at my Prep' School; who was also happened to be the headmaster. He made Latin really interesting, and I amazed everyone (including myself) by becoming the classics scholar of my intake year at my upper school (I scored 90% in my Common Entrance Latin paper). I suppose this was the first time in my life that I felt I'd really achieved something; so thank you Mr F.

At my upper school I would like to thank my Art Master, the wonderfully eccentric Norman Wadey, who really took me under his wing; and I ended-up winning the senior school art prize.

And at college I would like to thank whoever it was who awarded me my 'First'. It was one of very few times in my life when I felt really 'flattered'. Since those college days I also have to thank Lady Magnon for putting-up with me for so long.

It does sound as if I'm banging my own drum more than should be allowed, but no-one else will, and, anyway, it's simply the way I feel. Lives are peppered with ups and downs, and I just want to acknowledge those who provided me with the few ups; and why. I quite expect many others feel the same.

There have been many people who made my life in France more enjoyable through their friendship. Three New Zealanders in particular, and my two immediate farming neighbours. What would we have done without them; they were/are like family!

I would also like to thank a few old school chums, and all our friends in Brighton. They know who they are!

On a lighter note I would like to thank Mr Walker of Melton Mowbray for his wonderful Pork Pies (as sold at Waitrose). It is amazing how something as simple as a Pork Pie can make one's life so much 'happier'.

Most of all, however, I want to say thank you to my three children simply for being who they are. I have been blessed with three free-thinking and intelligent children who have all done well in life, and made our lives so exciting. My oldest son especially (who lives the closest to us) has been a huge help in recent times, and deserves a medal. The other two live 6,000 and 12,000 miles away.

This list would not be complete without mentioning all my friends in Blogland. I know I ramble on, and occasionally get things wrong. I'm very grateful that many keep coming back for more, so thank you all.


27 comments:

  1. Hi Cro, living on my own, I have to note down things from my life, myself. So no, you weren't banging your own drum. I loved your Thank You post. In present times I would be thanking my friends for helping me. Often. The pork pie reminded me of my late husband's love for these English treats. Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo. It's strange how such a simple thing as a Pork Pie can become so essential in one's life.

      Delete
  2. An uplifting post to brighten my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always good to stop and count our blessings. You sound like you have had a fortunate life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been OK. Highs and lows, like most people.

      Delete
  4. You are entitled to bang your own drum from time to time - just like Charlie Watts. Lady Magnon deserves more than mere thanks. For putting up with you, she has surely earned a lovely meal at "Etch. by Steven Edwards". For this you will need the key to your wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really been keen on Duck foam with parsley puree and wounded potato. I have threatened to take her to Maxim's in Paris, but then I usually decide to stay at home.

      Delete
  5. I am grateful for many things in my life, past and present, but school teachers are not on that list. Most were authoritarian and unsympathetic.
    You were lucky indeed to have teachers that encouraged you.
    I am grateful for your blog which I look forward to reading every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I was quite lucky with my teachers, although I doubt if they'd say the same about me!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for being a good blogger friend, Cro. For a couple of years you were one of the few who actually left comments on my new blog, and you were one of the first people in the world of blogs that I considered a friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say; thank you. I've followed your life, moves, and career for quite some while. I hope that continues.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for reminding me to pause and think of everyone who has helped me, or been nice to me each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to remember people who have meant so much to us.

      Delete
  8. There are many people who would be on any thank you list I made. Teachers and most (but not all) tutors at Art College would not feature on my thank you list either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tutors at Art College were all pretty hopeless, but at least someone gave me my 'first'.

      Delete
  9. It is my honor and pleasure to be with you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank YOU Cro, it's a daily adventure and an education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure about the 'education', but it's good fun.

      Delete
  11. I had two teachers who were wonderful and inspired me; Mrs Rathbone (Music) and Mrs Mountain (English).
    However, my biggest 'thank you' is to my Grandfather, who taught me so much, about life in general, literature, manners, humour, food, self respect, and maybe most important of all, how to play the spoons! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds to me like your grandpa was a great person. Oh how I would love my grandchildren to think of me as even a bit like that!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you hold a very special place in the hearts of your grandchildren.
      An emotionally close grandfather/grandchild relationship is one of the best things in the world! X

      Delete
  12. And...thank you for writing every day. I look forward to your thoughts and words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't write something every morning. It keeps me sane (ish).

      Delete
  13. I've only just caught up with this post but it was certainly worth a late comment. My Mother was a Latin scholar but I'm afraid that it wasn't my forté. I admire your ability and the fact that you appreciate the efforts of those who have helped you. We could all take a leaf out of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post, Cro, it is good to give thanks where they are due.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...