Monday 2 October 2023

Bullseye!


I noticed recently that these two glass windows in our front door had become a bit grubby, so I gave them a quick clean. 

They are known as 'Bullseye' panes, and they originally date from medieval times.

It reminded me that recently one of our neighbours posted something on our street's WhatsApp page that was quite worrying.

He said that on a hot sunny day the sun had come through the glass just like through a magnifying glass, and had begun to scorch his stair carpet. He suggested we all put a curtain behind the glass to prevent all our houses catching fire.

Well I didn't put a curtain up, and am relying on the fact that for the past 60 odd years, since the house was built, that not one house in the street has caught fire, and I pray this will continue. 

 

21 comments:

  1. The fire thing made me laugh. A great many things fade in the sunlight, don't they? But I have never seen one of those things burst into flames. Your door looks like it has a built in security system: Two eyes watch you carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once read in a newspaper about a fire started by the sun shining through a cut glass vase which was on someones landing windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently you can start fire with a magnifying glass and the sun or anything that concentrates the sun's rays onto something flammable. I have certainly heard of house fires caused by similar over the years! Your neighbour is probably correct!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As children we used to light fires with a magnifying glass. It was good fun!

      Delete
  4. Some people always see disasters coming. I know some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I hope this doesn't prove to be one of them.

      Delete
  5. The bullseye windows look like eyes. Below them you could put a nose and a mouth. You could call it "art" and it would undoubtedly be popular with neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember trying the trick with a magnifying glass and scorching a patch on the lawn. My parents were not amused!
    I wonder if that's how arsonists start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do it a lot, it didn't make me into an arsonist. At least not yet!

      Delete
  7. 60 years is a pretty good track record.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your neighbor seems to lean toward disaster. Oh well, it takes all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a solid glass ball with air bubbles in it which I use as a door stop. It was left on my bed in the sun while the floor was being cleaned. Some time later I noticed smoke rising from it and found it had actually burned a hole in my duvet cover. A narrow escape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just make sure your fire insurance is up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother and I used to use a magnifying glass to burn our names on pieces of wood which we then hung on our bedroom doors.
    I believe your neighbour, the summers are getting hotter and if the sun is at the right angle it could certainly scorch the carpet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...