Saturday 21 October 2023

That Chair.


We all know the painting, but Van Gogh's actual chair will also be familiar to anyone who has lived in, or stayed in, France for any length of time. It is of a style as familiar here as the 'Wheelback' is in the UK.

These chairs were made throughout France by itinerant workers. Whereas the travelling community in England sold clothes pegs and white heather, here in France they made chairs. However, they were never as chunky as VG painted his.


The 'Gypsies' would turn-up at a house, ask if they needed any chairs, then if the answer was 'yes' they would go to the woods and chop down a few coppiced trees. Usually they were made from Chestnut wood. If there were reeds handy, the chair would have rush seating, as with Van Gogh's chair. If not they would have a seat woven from thin strips of Chestnut (as below). 


We had a few of these old chairs hanging around in outbuildings, etc; most of which needed re-seating. The roughly hewn pieces of wood still show signs of being entirely hand made.

We took them to a riverside spot where we knew there was a 'Gypsy' encampment, and they did what we wanted for a very reasonable price. That was probably 40 years ago, and they're still serviceable.

I don't suppose many people care for these old chairs any more. They are rustic, poorly made, and old fashioned. An Ikea chair would be much more acceptable these days. However, the one above lives in my bedroom, and is still in constant use. 

I suppose it would have been nicer with a rush seat, like Vincent's.
 

25 comments:

  1. I like chairs with chunkier legs, I know they are more likely to support my weight. I don't like spindly legs on anything. When a rush seat wore out I would be inclined to replace it with an upholstered seat section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently needed to replace our dining chairs. We bought four chairs and two carvers for £40 (second hand). Amazing.

      Delete
  2. Almost every taverna here still has those chairs. Oh boy, they are so uncomfortable. After a few hours you get a numb bum. Maybe that's why they keep them, get the eaters to move on.
    Gypsies used to come around with armfuls of rushes and repair the seats out in the road or courtyard. Maybe they still do.
    I didn't know Van Gogh had immortalised them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we still have two of them, but they are certainly NOT for sitting on. Maybe those same Gypsies went to Poros!!!

      Delete
  3. Seems to be the modern trend, people preferring the lightweight Ikea flat-pack and almost disposable furniture over the solid craftsman-made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll post a picture of the 6 second-hand chairs we bought recently for £40. They may not be the most beautiful, but they do what's asked of them, and replaced some shoddy Habitat chairs that fell apart.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They're Chestnut, which tends not to get Woodworm.

      Delete
  5. No Ikea in my house! and never will be.
    Your chair is special, that's the difference between old and new

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikea for me is 'Sill' (a type of sweet pickled Herring) and Knackebrod (large round crispbreads). The rest they can keep.

      Delete
    2. I have more Ikea than I'd like but I buy what I can afford and it does look pretty good.

      Delete
  6. You were brave to do business with the gypsies by the river. It's surprising that they didn't make you into a nice stew. They don't do that at IKEA. Mind you, nobody knows exactly what goes into their meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought their 'meatballs' were very good. Too much Yorkshiremen in them.

      Delete
    2. "Yorkshiremen balls are delicious" - Women's Institute "Life" magazine.

      Delete
    3. Ikea meatballs might be all the customers that could never find their way out of that maze they call a store.

      Delete
  7. There used to be a copy of that Van Gogh painting in a spare bedroom when I was young. I had his sunflowers painting in my bedroom, and it gave me my liking for the flowers.
    I like Ikea's Sill too and always came home with a few jars every time I went there. We don't have one near enough to pop into for them these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same so I now buy my sill from Waitrose. It's excellent. Always a few jars in the fridge!!!

      Delete
  8. One of my elementary school teachers, would have woven that seat for you. It was fascinating to watch her work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only the older chairs are made using solid wood. The quality is outstanding. Ikea, no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikea's chairs will be antiques one day. I pity the antique dealers.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It's a stalwart; I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

      Delete
  11. Ikea will doubtful to make it to antique age before needing replaced. That is life now, make it so it won't last and you need to buy new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'In-built obsolescence' covers almost everything these days.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...