Saturday 26 August 2023

Sussex Cottage


Our 'library' here is quite extensive, it contains a good selection of classic novels, poetry, and children's books. It also contains most of our collection of art and reference books.

I have just forced myself to finish reading a very poor novel by Nick Hornby, and desperately needed something to restore my faith in 'literature'. 

I last read Esther Meynell's 'Sussex Cottage' back in the 70's. I have been friends with some of the current Meynell family since my London days, and her book appeals on many levels. I once wrote about the family's stunning old farmhouse home near Amberley which I consider to be one of the most beautiful, and desirable, homes in Sussex. But this book is about an altogether different house.


Being a Surrey/Sussex lad myself, I am fascinated by all the traditions of my county, especially its early domestic architecture. 

This book describes the building of a traditional village home by itemising all the materials, construction methods, the crafts, the craftsmen, the characters, traditions, and the very landscape itself. The cottage is in Ditchling, just outside Brighton.

It isn't a book that would appeal to everyone, but those interested in Sussex life, and it's vernacular architecture, would find it fascinating. Back in the early 50's my father built a lovely house which followed in the tradition of local architecture, with the upper story hung with hand-made tiles, etc. Reading E M's book, I note that her attention to detail seemed very similar.

The book also contains a small chapter dedicated to our old village of West Chiltington.



25 comments:

  1. It sounds an interesting book. If you have time to start a new book you must be getting through your list well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so hot here recently that, other than swimming, reading is almost the only thing to do. It's cooler now, so back to work.

      Delete
  2. West Chiltington was always one of my favourite villages to drive through when we lived in Worthing. Such a pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My people had a very beautiful Thatched House there.

      Delete
    2. p.s. We also lived in Worthing before West Chilt, at the back of Broadwater by the Golf Course.

      Delete
    3. Close neighbours! We lived in Offington , just behind Broadwater Green.

      Delete
    4. I thought I recognised you!

      Delete
  3. Sussex/Surrey are a closed book to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Many shires have done worthily
    But Yorkshire surmounteth them all."
    - The Bible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things that your liable
      to read in the bible,
      it ain't necessarily so!
      Gershwin.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the 'your', it's as it was written!

      Delete
  5. I am reading a book about village life over a century ago - I am finding it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was written in '36, so not far off a century ago too.

      Delete
  6. Rereading books, is sometimes spending time with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are books that allow you a glimpse of another corner of the world, a third person glimpse, from the outside looking in. There are other books that give you that glimpse as if you are stepping into someone else's shoes and looking through someone else's eyes. I love those books the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That takes a skilful writer. Usually books are of the former type.

      Delete
    2. Marcel Pagnol and William Mitchell did an awfully nice job of it.

      Delete
  8. Architecture and construction is fascinating. The further back you go the more interesting it is. Recently, I streamed a British show where people buy almost derelict historic schools, mills, churches, military buildings and create homes. Listed property requires restoration and the techniques are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out here in France the locals take a lovely old building and make it 'modern'; you'd be put in prison if you did that in the UK.

      Delete
  9. Hi Cro, I also reread books. Even with my busy lifestyle, I manage to read a book a week. I wondered about you writing "your" in that Gershwin quote and was pleased to see it was a direct copy. Have a great Saturday. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of writing it correctly, but that was how Gershwin himself wrote it. Both my wife and I always have a book on the go. I'm not a quick reader so mine would usually last a week or more; in winter less.

      Delete
  10. I don't read "literature" I fnd it too long-winded and "stuffy", what I read is called "pop-fiction".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...