Thursday 24 August 2023

Help required.


I have shown these bowls before, back in 2011. However, I'm still looking for an answer, so I'm asking for your help yet again.

I would love to know what these bowls were made for. I'm sure they had a specific purpose; but what, I have no idea. Maybe you do?

They are quite small (just 17 cms in diameter), very solidly built, with a brown glaze inside, and an embossed yellow star peeping-up from the bottom. On the underneath is the number 163A, plus another small mark that could be a 'u' or an 'n'. They look to me as if they were designed to go into an oven, 


I bought them many years ago at a Boot Sale in the UK, but the seller had no idea what they were.

So, if anyone out there knows what they are, or can make an educated guess, I would love to hear from you.

I'm sure they have an interesting history.


 

25 comments:

  1. I don't know what they should be used for but I hope you're using them anyway. I'd use them for serving tzatziki or a fancy bowl for the olive oil and lemon dressing when we eat grilled fish, as we are having today.
    But today will not be a fancy day. The sauce will be served in the screw top jar I make and shake it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use them, a lot; mostly for Olives, nibbles, etc.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning, Oblique Philosipher....
    or perhaps O'Bleak Philosipher.
    After he retired, my Dad ran an antiques business and when he died, I snaffled all his books on marks.
    If I find time today [or need a distraction] I'll avaganda!!
    But these look as if they are part of a commercial run, rather than a small artisinal pottery's output.
    However, the 1 and the 3 both look French to me.... no base on the 1 and sharp angle in the middle of the 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so used to French style 1's and 7's that I didn't think about it. You might be onto something. They don't look English to me.

      Delete
  3. Many years ago when holidaying with our French friends all of the children were given hot chocolate to drink for breakfast in bowls very similar to yours .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Maybe they have crossed the channel!

      Delete
  4. I have no idea but they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice, but they do have a slightly sinister 'workhouse' look about them.

      Delete
  5. I am going to make a wild guess and say that they are bowls made for serving olives and nibbles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time for Antiques Road Show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No idea... but they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're fun bowls. Perhaps they came from a Russian Gulag.

      Delete
  8. Lovely mystery bowls! I do like the star on the inside and would have also bought them in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too rustic to be “ white star”

    ReplyDelete
  10. YP and Cro........you two are a hoot today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 17cm is not small, do you perhaps mean 7cm? They could be salt and spice dishes that cooks use to measure different ingredients and have them ready to use in recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...