Thursday 17 August 2023

A bit of nostalgia.


We don't often get to use these large serving dishes; they are reserved for when we are 6 or more around the table. 

Many years ago I used to buy these very simple, tin glazed, peasant-ware dishes, as often as I could. I somehow knew they would disappear as being 'unfashionable', so I bought lots. These days they are a rarity at antique or boot sales, and demand good prices.


We used the two above last night; one to hold a large pile of roasted Chicken, the other to contain roasted potatoes and green beans. They have an almost medieval simplicity about them; especially when piled high with good food.


They always remind me of my lovely neighbour Madame D (now sadly departed), who would load a table with lots of them, all groaning with beautifully prepared dishes. Madame D was a classic Perigordian peasant cook. Nothing gave her more pleasure than seeing people enjoy what she had lovingly prepared. She would serve plates of Confit, Sausages, two different styles of Chicken, and green Beans, along with salads tomatoes and whatever was fresh in the garden. She taught me so much about traditional local cuisine, preserving, and so much more. I still occasionally think how I would love to ask her advice about something or other.

Those days have now gone; along with Madame D. So much has changed since she was my next door neighbour. Kitchen technology has certainly advanced, the fruit and vegs in the shops are now far more exotic, and 'convenience' now dominates all aspects of cooking. The standard of French home cooking (and restaurant cooking) has certainly decreased, whereas I think in the UK it has advanced considerably.

I myself no longer make my own paté, I no longer salt my own hams or bacon, and our fruit/jam production is very limited. I was extremely happy to use the above dishes again, they remind me of better times, of wonderful occasions, and of many lovely people.

 

24 comments:

  1. I love big serving dishes and platters myself, though I don't have any. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of oval ones too, from quite small to huge.

      Delete
  2. I rather like the look of that food in your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always quarter the roasted chickens, just as Madame D did. Very rustic.

      Delete
  3. You might have a look at the work of Andrew McGarva..Mick Casson's son in law..he has lived and worked in France for years. I am not sure where his pottery is..apart from the Southern half of France!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean by 'tin plated'?
    I love the look of those dishes . It all looks so nice and food is always tastier when served in your favourite dish or plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rather old fashioned type of glaze. Very shiny and often quite thick. It is also opaque and is often used as a base for decorating. I imagine it contains a lot of tin.

      Delete
    2. A tin glaze is used as the base for Majolica painted decoration

      Delete
  5. How food is presented is part of the pleasure. Lovely old balls... I mean - bowls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do mounds of foam or miniature herbs, I like good honest tucker, on good honest plates.

      Delete
  6. I am not a chicken fan but pass me that lovely bowl of spuds and plenty of salt on and I could eat the lot. They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken was roasted with lemon and garlic, and the spuds just with garlic and herbs. Lovely.

      Delete
  7. That all looks good enough to eat, Cro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all those bones for a wonderful chicken stock.

      Delete
  8. Great food makes fond memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my 'best times' have been spent around a table.

      Delete
  9. The best dishes come with memories built in. I saw a bowl at a yard sale that I was much taken with. I couldn't have told you why. I bought it, and I've used it. After my mother died, I brought some things of hers home. Homely things. Her cutting boards. Two cake pans that she always used for our traditional Easter cake. Her old chipped bread bowl. Imagine my surprise. When I put it away in my cupboard, I realized I had the same bowl already sitting there. I'd bought it at a yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather stupidly I didn't keep much of my mother's kitchen stuff. I did keep a nut cracker, a corkscrew, and a few other small things.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful memories and beautiful repast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good using things that others had used for decades.

      Delete
  11. Your large serving bowls are lovely and they are perfect for family style dining. Your feast looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'feast' was to welcome family who are with us for a couple of weeks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...