Saturday 8 August 2020

A Move to the Country.



British online Estate Agents 'Purplebricks', along with 'Rightmove', have announced a definite trend to move from inner cities out into the countryside. They claim a 125% increase in moves.

They claim that COVID is mostly responsible for the transition, but I suspect there is more to it that just a fear of illness.

So many UK cities and towns are far too overcrowded. I haven't visited the UK myself for quite some while, but the first thing I always noticed after leaving the ferry at either Dover or Newhaven was the amount of traffic on the roads. One of the things I enjoy about living where I do, is that we have very little traffic. I can drive the 20 Kms to my preferred supermarket and encounter just one or two cars en route.

My oldest son, Kimbo, has recently moved from chic and expensive Kensington, to a very attractive village north-east of London. Now with a small garden, his quality of life instantly became better, and he is still only 30 miles from Trafalgar Square. His village contains beautiful old Pubs, good quality traditional shops, and a number of excellent restaurants of various ethnicities. He also already knows a number of his new neighbours. In other words his quality of life has improved many fold.

I have said many times that London still has a pull for me, but to live there I'd have to insist on certain things. First is that small Mews House in S Kensington (something similar to my illustration), with its own parking space or garage. Also I would definitely need a small country cottage in Sussex, where I could escape when London life became too overpowering. My only problem is that I don't have the few million smackers to buy into this type of lifestyle.

If anyone knows Mr Bezos, maybe you could mention my name.

6 comments:

  1. No comments required here. I'm simply fantasising again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say how I would love to have a city flat, in the best part of central Athens, if there is such a place. The city pad would be the getaway, not the island home.
    Our neighbourhood has suddenly filled despite the virus. Instead of just one neighbour we now have 4 on our little cul de sac.
    All returning to their rural roots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my time living in London, and would happily live there again. However, the circumstances would need to be perfect, and sadly I can't afford it.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, no intro to Monsieur Bezos. While crowds in London don't really worry me when we visit and we are well, I can understand how many would not like them and from what I know about train services, people are moving out from London but within expensive train commuting distance. Having in a car in central London is probably more trouble than it is worth unless you visit the countryside often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have your own parking space or garage, it changes everything. In Brighton our house has a separate garage, and it's almost like being in heaven; no driving round for hours on end looking for a parking spot.

      Delete
  4. The same thing is happening here in the US. The virus seems to have pushed people into making a decision they'd been considering. Many friends are growing vegetables in their yards now, where in the past they just grew grass--not the smokin' kind, but maybe that too. I visited London last August, and cannot imagine living in such an urban environment. So many people--there and pretty much everywhere I traveled in England. Guess I am country through and through. Although the occasional visit to a city is exciting, for a short time. Then back to the hills for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...