Friday 13 September 2019

In Limbo.


                                              Résultat de recherche d'images pour "twiddling thumbs"

It's surprising how little there is to do in September. OK, I could pick more Apples, etc, or IF it had rained enough there would be mushrooms to be gathered.

The grass isn't growing, nor are the weeds; in fact there is very little that needs my attention. All I can remember from yesterday (other than taking Billy to the Vet's) was repairing the mechanism that lifts our pedal bin. Hardly a fulfilling day.

There are small children who require entertaining; Boo Boo and Lady M made chocolate brownies together yesterday. There is Billy to take for walks; but one can only walk so far each day. And there are general 'groundsman' duties that need to be seen-to; raking leaves, etc. Otherwise I pop up to Haddock's several times a day to see if anything has grown, and moan about the constant noise from neighbours' ongoing projects.

The pool temperature might rise over the next few days, so there'll be swimming to do; otherwise it's just a matter of thumb-twiddling, cooking, eating, and drinking. It's a hard life.


21 comments:

  1. I really don't think you are the thumb twiddling type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep busy, but with nothing substantial; just fiddling with bits and pieces.

      Delete
  2. Time to catch up with some reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just settling down to a book yesterday; then a small cherub jumped on my lap!

      Delete
  3. What about a horror story to read when relaxing poolside - the Yellowhammer pages perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron's diaries are to be published any day; even scarier.

      Delete
  4. Soon it will be winter and you will miss September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love September; it's one of my favourite months. It just happens that I've had nothing to do recently.

      Delete
  5. I think that's a bit how I felt yesterday. Better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't happen too often, thank goodness.

      Delete
    2. Same here. I knew today would be better. Yesterday was a day for not making any decisions, today is different.

      Delete
    3. 31 C here today; I'm just off for a swim.

      Delete
  6. Oh bloody hell. Now you have discovered flaming gifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I may have to stop following you until it goes down the list. I can always catch up on the quince harvest nest year. Everything has its season.

      Delete
  7. I am still picking tomatoes and lots of peppers and am beginning to dismantle my summer garden and cleaning up. Those small annual plants I put in May have grown very large and all the perennials that are no longer blooming, need to be cut back. I don’t enjoy doing any of this work. I am also buying some fall plantings and planning what I want to do with them.

    It is wonderful that you still have family around. Treasure these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few tomatoes, but luckily I have generous neighbours who bring round big boxes of them for me. We are now living mostly on green vegs from Haddock's; beans, kale, cavolo nero, etc. It's been a funny year!

      Delete
  8. Paul isn't happy unless he's busy with a project, whilst I am perfectly happy doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After 20 years of teaching, giving time to my family and gr-daughters, and writing is what makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. After only 2 years teaching I was happy not to go into another classroom ever again. I fled to France instead.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...